Thread: Problem with adding programs to zone alarm programs list and running the programs

gavfromct Guest

Default Problem with adding programs to zone alarm programs list and running the programs

Hello there
    I have recently purchased the most recent version of Zone Alarm Pro (7.1.254), and I am having a few problems with adding programs that zone alarm has not detected.
    For example I have trial edition of jv16 power tools, and in order for me to run the application I have to set the program control to low.
    Once this has been done the application runs fine...however I am concerned as I would like my default program control to be sitting at medium as I have only had Zone Alarm for a few days.
    Jv16 power tools has not been detected by Zone Alarm,
    so I tried to add the executable file to the programs list
    and got nothing.

I have also tried to add games
    (S.T.A.L.K.E.R) being an example,
    again I get nothing when trying to add the executable,
    and the only way it will run is if I turn program control to low yet again.

To be honest
    nearly all of my games (Steam and non-Steam games) require program control settings to be at low...is this a norm or a problem?
    I have given the games that
    Zone Alarm
    HAS

detected a high trusted level and have ticked allow in the Acess and Server sections, and the program control settings still have to be at low for the games to work.
    I have also tried running the games in game mode which makes no difference.

I am not sure if the Zone Alarm OS Firewall has anything to do with this.
    For Doom 3 on Steam I had to
    shutdown Zone Alarm for the game to work, which I don't really want to do even when playing in off-line mode.

I really don't know what to do, as constantly having to change the program control gets confusing sometimes, and windows crashes if I get it wrong which is really frustrating.

Any
    sound advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I have Windows Vista Premium 32.

P.S.
    Other prgorams that I have for example CCleaner, Nod32, Spy Sweeper and Counterspy have no problems at all with access when the program control settings are at medium.

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:
    7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Message Edited by Gavfromct on 08-11-2008 06:34 PM

Message Edited by Gavfromct on 08-11-2008 06:43 PM

Message Edited by Gavfromct on 08-11-2008 06:43 PM

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Problem with adding programs to zone alarm programs list and running the programs

Here's what I've had to do for games. Start the game and go to the initial menu screen, then exit. ZoneAlarm should have detected it. Then find the game in the Programs list and give it Super Trust Level and 4 green check marks (I've never had an online game that's tried to destroy my computer!). You will also have to give PunkBuster elevated rights if you have any games that use it.

gavfromct Guest

Default Re: Problem with adding programs to zone alarm programs list and running the programs

Cheers for the advice
    I have sorted out the problem...after reading threads on this forum
    I decided
    to reset Zone Alarm by going into Safe Mode and deleting two files in the internet logs section.
    This appears to have worked as Zone Alarm is now detecting all my programs, and my games without any crashes at medium program control.
    What a relief, I had almost given up!!!
    Perhaps I made a mistake with my first Zone Alarm install.
    This forum is really impressive!!!

hammernu Guest

I agree. All of my knowledge comes from reading other people's posts. And they're polite, too!
    I'm glad your problem's solved.

Thread Information