Thread: Opening a port in ZoneAlarm 7 for Windows Live

adamtennant Guest

Default Opening a port in ZoneAlarm 7 for Windows Live

Hi, I'm trying to get a windows live login through Dawn of War 2
    working. I want to
    allow UDP on port 3074 to allow the login because ZA is blocking it.I've enabled UPnP on my router so after I open this port I should be OK.To open a port the support doc says:
    Click on Firewall -> Main -> Internet Zone -> Custom button
    but there is no "custom" button, only an "advanced" button. Is this a feature in a paid for version that the free version doesn't have?If that's the case I guess I can always just configure my router's hardware firewall and ditch ZoneAlarm.
    I'm running:
    ZoneAlarm version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    L8R,Adam.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Opening a port in ZoneAlarm 7 for Windows Live

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>adamtennant wrote:
    Is this a feature in a paid for version that the free version doesn't have?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, sorry. In ZA free you can't open specific ports.Have you allowed 'internet server rights' to the program in ZA program control?It should open the ports for the program, you may also need to do the same on the router.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

adamtennant Guest

Yes, I tried giving the game server rights but it didn't seem to help. I also tried adding the destination IP address that the UDP was going to in the Trusted Zone (The Windows Live server I assume, haven't bothered to trace it) as well but to no avail.I don't think I'll need to do more on the router as it's not set up to block ports currently (I've not gotten around to configuring the firewall in it), I just had to enable UPnP to get past NAPT issues. Mind you, I don't know if what I changed on the router has worked yet as nothing has gotten past ZA yet. ^^
    Hmm... annoying. I should have tried to sort this when I had the problem during the Beta. Doh.
    L8R,Adam.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>adamtennant wrote:
    Mind you, I don't know if what I changed on the router has worked yet as nothing has gotten past ZA yet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Having enabled NATmeans youalready deflate unsolicited incoming calls, this is why your ZA is silent.This also means that your ports are closed, Have you tried to connect directly without any NAT to see if it works? Or open the port in the router.Cheers,Fax

adamtennant Guest

It's the outgoing UDP connection that ZA is reporting
    that it's blocking so it's not even getting out
    to the router. I don't know if it will get back in through the router yet as the request for the Windows Live sign in isn't getting off my PC yet.I'll try turning off ZA briefly and see if it works then. I imagine it will, I saw a similar occurrence in another thread about DoW2 &amp; Windows Live issues on this board.
    L8R,Adam.

adamtennant Guest

Yup, I was right. I turned off ZA and the game signs in fine. Grrr. Now i have to decide whether to get rid of ZA and config my router's firewall or shell out just to get a game to run.
    L8R,Adam.

Hi!sorry, didn't get that is was an outgoing... with the ZA free version you can't open ports... sorryCheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-04-2009 10:21 PM

Thread Information