Thread: ZA blocks my settings changes

jpg Guest

Default ZA blocks my settings changes

ZA blocks Windows Explorer from implementing my changes to ZA settings, even though Windows Explorer is set at Trust Level III, and I have given it complete Access permissions. What's up?

jpg

Default Re: ZA blocks my settings changes

Hi!can you give a more concrete example?Copy the logs?Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jpg Guest

The only logs displayed in ZA are AV updates and OS Firewall Alerts. The Alert that Windows Explorer was blocked is not shown in the logs, however the blocking of Indexing Service daemon that I reported in my post of 9-6 is shown. Here is the copy:

Description Indexing Service filter daemon was prevented from changing the behavior of ZoneAlarm Security Suite by modifying the file: WINDIR\Internet Logs\BACKUP.RDB
    Rating High
    Date / Time 2008-09-07 08:10:02-7:00
    Type File
    Subtype File Write
    Data WINDIR\Internet Logs\BACKUP.RDB
    Program C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CIDAEMON.EXE
    Action Taken Blocked (once)
    Count 1
    Policy Personal Policy

This alert and the alert about Windows Explorer began showing up after I changed settings to activate alerts and logging of all events.

jpg

Hi!this looks like version 8. Version 8 has been hardened against tampering... but it has become obviously too sensitive :8}Report it to ZA technical support, they may need to tune the ZA for XP to be less sensitive to trusted applications.www.zonealarm.com/tsform Cheers,Fax

jpg Guest

OK. Thanks, fax.

I have sent a report, but I may switch back to version 7. Are there any good reasons to stay with version 8?

jpg

Hi!have you tried to reinstall the live messenger?May be there is a corrupted driver...Reasons? Here:<P class=headblack2><A id=8.0.015.000 name=8.0.015.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 8.0.015.000<UL class=body><LI>Security improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Many Firewall/OSFirewall improvements stop more attacks, pass leak tests <LI>Enhanced self-protection. More hardening and other self-protection added to withstand an onslaught of attacks ("stability under fire") <LI>Early boot protection - new icon with a special tooltip now appears sooner during start-up (though security is active even before the icon shows). <LI>Enhanced: Root-kit protection within OSFirewall blocks more threats <LI>New daily credit monitoring - monitors your credit reports daily with email alerts and reports; notifies you if there have been changes because these are often an indication of identity theft. <LI>Newly updated Identity Protection Center makes it easier for you to protect your identity in the physical world too. <LI>Various antivirus and anti-spyware improvements. </LI>[/list]<LI>Performance improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Anti-virus: Scan modes added so you only scan what you need, increasing scan speed by 50% while still providing superior protection <LI>Improved reboot time, login time, session start, UI loading, various other performance improvements throughout the product. </LI>[/list]<LI>Ease-of-use improvements: <UL class=body><LI>New User Interface <LI>One-click Fix-it button lets you fix issues instantly <LI>Improvements in Smart Defense: Millions of applications have security access automatically pre-set so the user doesn t have to set them </LI>[/list]</LI>[/list]

Cheers,

Fax

jpg Guest

Fax,

I disabled instant messaging years ago.

The reasons look good, but if I can't configure v8 it is no good to me. I will see if Zone Labs replies to my report. If I cantt get a fix in a few days, I'll go back to v7 or look for other options.

Thanks for your work on this,

Regards,
    jpg

As far as the indexing service (cidaemon) is concerned, you could simply exclude c:\Windows\internet logs from the catalog. It is pretty pointless to have those files indexed anyway. Ditto, if you wish, for C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs
    For XP: Right click My computer, click manage. In the window that opens, click on the + next to services and applications, then on the + next to indexing service and on the + next to the catalog (most likely called System, unless you've created your own).
    Temporarily stop the indexing service by right clicking on Indexing service, click stop. Then click on directories below the catalog (System)
    to show its contents in the right hand pane. Right click in the right hand pane, click new, click directory. Browse to the Internet logs folder, select No under Include in index? , click OK. Restart the service. By the way, if you don't use the indexing service mucH or if there are not very many new files (documents etc.)
    created in a day you can set the indexing service only to run when the PC is idle, pause or stop
    the service, right click on indexing service, click all tasks, click Tune performance. Select the option you prefer, restart the servce.

Thread Information