Thread: ZoneAlarm 8.0.020.000 has issues with folding@home

penguinboy Guest

Default ZoneAlarm 8.0.020.000 has issues with folding@home

So, I keep getting a message box popping up from ZoneAlarm saying something like "The True Vector internet monitor is not running, would you like to start it now?" And another one whenever I reboot the computer saying "could not load MyVault." The second one is really confusing me, because I never activated MyVault.

I'm not entirely certain if this is the source of the problem, but it looks like whenever folding@home tries to contact a server to send/receive data, the pop-up about the True Vector internet monitor comes up and the folding@home client is blocked.

I'm having this problem on two computers. I've tried uninstalling ZoneAlarm with the /clean option and cleaning out the \Documents and Settings\...\...\temp folder and the \Windows\internet logs folder, then installing again, and the problem still persists. I tried doing the shift+control thing and resetting the configuration and...let's just say ZoneAlarm wasn't too happy about that. It didn't seem to keep track of any of the programs it found during the scan it performed afterwards, and I had to manually force it into auto-learn mode twice before it kept that setting. I'm sorry to say this, but I'm really thinking this version wasn't ready for release yet.

I should also mention that these are rather new installs of Windows XP. They're only a couple of weeks old.

I can spend a couple hours fooling around with things with a customer service agent to try to figure out a way around this problem, but I really don't have much more than that available to try to fix it. I'm thinking that right now the best option is to downgrade to the latest v7 client and use that, at least until the next v8 release.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZoneAlarm 8.0.020.000 has issues with folding@home

to the Zone Alarm User Forum..VERY IMPORTANT: Please Report the details of your Problem Directly to ZA Tech Support for FREE at www.zonealarm.com/tsform (preferably withIE Browser)The more Users that Report thisproblem directly to Tech Support, with their Details and what they did to try and resolve the issue, the Sooner Tech support will find a FIX for the problem..I Suggest going back to ZASS Version 7.0.483.000Until the Developers come up with a Fix..Go to the following Forum Link and follow the Instructions..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b....id=14945#M184
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

landondclark Guest

I had the same problem with Folding@home-Win32-GPU_Vista-620r1 . When F@H started to download a job, or upload the results, ZA would not let it through. I had program control allow all F@H programs, and even couldn't get a permission pop up to let it through.

What I found that worked with ZA 8.0, however, was to set it to Game Mode whenever F@H needed to get through. Kinda a hassle, since it will only do one job at a time, but it is one solution for the moment.

I really don't feel like downgrading ZA, so anyone else out there have any solutions?

jimminie Guest

I will relate my experience with upgrading to Zone Alarm v8 and also with the Force Field latest upgrade as well.
    I had two separate issues:
    After
    I did the upgrade to ZA8, Folding@Home was unable to access the
    F@H Servers.After
    I did the upgrade to FF, when you right-click F@H and selected any links to F@H services; Team Stats, User Stats, etc., services would fail and close.
    Attempting to correct, I did the Game Mode thing, the disabling of ZA8, the uninstalling of ZA8 (but did not follow GeorgeV's instruction about the important requirement of disabling True Vector and rebooting beforeuninstalling)
    and many other things over a two day period, all
    without success.
    Then I
    found GeorgeV's
    reply to penguinboy's post.
    (Many thanks GeorgV for
    your very helful instructions and penguinboy for starting this thread) I followed
    GeorgeV's instructions in every detail (and you can read those) and I was able toremove ZA8 (don't forget the disabling of True Vector/reboot/uninstall) and the FF upgrades and install the older ZA
    7.0.483.000 and older FF1.1.66.0
    which both allow proper operationof
    F@H.
    And, I am going to stay with these older versions because the upgrades did not sit well with my
    F@H operations.
    I also contacted Zone Alarm Tech Support (again, per GeorgeV's instructions using the form).
    Zone Alarm was very prompt and supportive.Here
    is their reply:

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together

2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock

3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up

4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box

5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system

6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

I tried these six steps
    above and
    it did not correct my issues with ZA8 and The
    latest FF upgrade.

So,
    in summary, I will stay with ZA 7.0.483.000 and FF 1.1.66.0

Thanks to all for their postings which allowed my F@H to return to service.

Best Regards.

Your Welcome..Thank you for your Feedback..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information