Thread: Cannot Download Software Update

dmfabri Guest

Default Cannot Download Software Update

ZA "Check For Updates" brings me to the link: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/cf...=offer_zaff_en
    When I select Download I am connected to a page but receive the message:
    This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage.

Need assistance in determining why I am blocked.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.020.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.020.000
    Driver version:8.0.020.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:960338898
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200809.4695
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

dmfabri Guest

Default Re: Cannot Download Software Update

my processes svchost was denied by firewall. I added to my internet zone and all is now fine.

jesorensen Guest

Hi, dmifabriI seem to have the same problem, but I do not understand your solution. What is svchost? I cannot find it in the programs list or the components list. Would you kindly tell an ignorant precisely what to do, so that I can download again.GreetingsJorgen

pump_meister Guest

svchost is the Windows
    "host program" for the Windows Services (like a traffic cop), which are
    Windows
    features that run in the background with little or no user interaction (e.g., the print spooler).Most
    are an essential part of Windows, but since there are so many of them, and there is little user interaction, they can easily lead to confusion and troubleshooting challenges.
    You can see all the Services that are running in the background by looking at the Windows Task Manager Services tab.
    If you want to add svchost to your programs list, then click on the add button at the bottom of the Program Control list, browse to the C:\Windows\System32 folder and select the svchost.exe application from the (long) list (click open to bring its name into ZoneAlarm).

You may have to hunt for it a bit in ZoneAlarm after you add it--keep in mind the actual filenames are shown in the bottom pane of the list.
    After you add svchost, you should be able to set different Program Control settings for it.
    Most services should not be accessing the internet, in my opinion, so I tend to be a bit suspicious of adding internet access priviledges to svchost.
    If you find that dmifabri's approach does not work for you, I would recommend undoing what you changed.

For example, if you want to remove the svchost line in the instance that this did not work for you, then right click on the svchost line, and select Remove from the pop-up menu.
    The key to finding the right balance between solid security and proper functioning for ZoneAlarm (or any security software) is to add just the settings or exceptions to it that you need, but no more than that.
    Steve

Thread Information