Thread: Help with Expert Rules

olaeblue Guest

Default Help with Expert Rules

I want to limit the kids so, for example, when logged onto their User Accounts between 7pm & 9pm they can access sites for homework, but not facebook or MSN.

I think expert rules are the way ahead, but having had a 'play' they are proving more difficult than I thought.

Is there an 'idiots guide' or 'Expert rules for dummies' (is that an oxymoron or what?) type guide somewhere I can look at. Even better has some one successfully created such rules & can provide some advice & screenshots of what they did.

Thanks

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by Olaeblue on 10-22-2008 01:49 PM

Default Re: Help with Expert Rules

Basically the Expert Rule for the Application would be your best choice or appraoch.
    Although you could increase this with Expert rules in the firewall.

Expert rules for the Applications (I assume you intend the browsers) would be listed in this order (ZA always reads the rules top down).

1). Localhost to localhost and allow any time and for any tcp/udp
    2) DNS (by the IP(s)) to My Computer and My Computer to DNS, any time, source is any to DNS port by UDP and DNS to any source by UDP.
    3) My Computer to the specific IPs (or urls) involved for the children's sites, time any and protocol is destination (remote) port 80 by TCP
    4) My Computer to the Internet Zone and Internet Zone to My Computer, time duration for the children time at the computer, protocol any.... BLOCK.... LOG
    5) My Computer to the Internet Zone, time duration not for the children time at the computer, protocol any remote http and https by TCP ....ALLOW....LOG
    6) Last rule is a Default Block All rule...BLOCK....LOG for any source, destination, protocol and time. (this rule is also a logging rule of unwanted conections and blocked connections - will be found under this rule in the Logs of the Log Viewer ).

Expert rule for the Firewall.
    (localhost and dns are already trusted, so these can be skipped or if getting better with rules both of these and the dhcp rules can be set in the expert of the firewall).
    Basically the rules from three to five are translated into here.

Pleanty of pictures and discussions here:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/s...dsod&board_id=

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 10-22-2008 06:11 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

forum_moderator Guest

ZoneAlarm was not really designed to do what you want to do. So if you cant get it to work with Expert rules, what you really need is a different class of software such as NetNanny. That can do everything you want and much more when it comes to your kinds activities on your PC.Forum Moderator

<blockquote><hr>Forum-Moderator wrote:
    ZoneAlarm was not really designed to do what you want to do. So if you cant get it to work with Expert rules, what you really need is a different class of software such as NetNanny. That can do everything you want and much more when it comes to your kinds activities on your PC.
    Forum Moderator
    <hr></blockquote>

To allow a few sites or block af ew sites is easily done in the ZA's expert rules.
    Been doing this with the ZA for years. A couple of billion IPs blocked in the Zones, 239 Expert rules in the Firewall and every application locked down for access and non access Expert rules along with specific site blocking for certain applications (not just port and protocol controls)(and this can be easily doen for time too). Everything is controlled on my ZA - right down to the multicast/broadcast and ICMP and unusual protocols.

ZA was enhanced with Expert rules ever since the release of the version 4.
    Slight modifications since then and they were nicely refined by the 4.5 and these have never yet changed.
    Just as simple to create expert rules then as it is now.

It is relatively simpe to block a few sites or allow a few sites for a given time frame or time period.
    This can be done in the ZA and in other firewalls from other vendors.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 10-22-2008 10:36 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information