Thread: Sometimes cannot access server or network drive

luckyfinz Guest

Default Sometimes cannot access server or network drive

I have Vista Business SP1, and ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 8.0.059.000. The Vista system is part of an SBS 2003 network.

The problem I'm running into is this: Occasionally (about every 3 or 4 boots), I cannot access the mapped network drive, or the server by \\SERVERNAME. When double-clicking on the network drive nothing happens (it just sits there forever). When I try to get to the server using \\SERVERNAME, I receive the following error message:

\\SERVERNNAME is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The specified network name is no longer available.

The odd thing is, I can still access the server using the IP address so it seems to be a DNS issue. I think it's related to ZoneAlarm because I never had this happen before I installed ZoneAlarm. A reboot usually fixes it, but this happens every few days so it's quite annoying. I've tried ipconfig /flushdns and that doesn't solve it.

The network and server IP are in the Trusted zone. Any other ideas?

Operating System:Windows Vista Business
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Sometimes cannot access server or network drive

Here are a few things to check in ZA for Vista..1.) Make sure Za Firewall Main Tab Internet Zone Security = High, Trusted Zone Security = Medium2.) Za Firewall Zones Tab, Network, DNS and Loopback Adapter 127.0.0.1 are all listed in the TRUSTED Zone3.) Program Control Main tab = Maximum.. SmartDefense Advisor = Manual or OFFDoes this help?---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:963023964
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4795
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

luckyfinz Guest

Most of that was already set-up. I changed smart defense advisor to off (it was on Auto). I also added an expert rule for DNS (it was already listed under Zones, but I figured I'd try it anyways). We'll see if that makes any difference.

Message Edited by luckyfinz on 11-07-2008 03:03 PM

Sorry that did not help much..You can Contact ZA Tech Support Free of charge at www.zonealarm.com/tsform (with IE Browser)Please give them the full details of your problem and what you have tried..Post back here and let us know what you find out..Good Luck..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

zaswing Guest

luckyfinz,

Mapped network drive will require NetBios to be allowed for the trusted zone since NetBios resolves the device names (IMO).
    Windows Explorer needs Access internet rights on the Programs list, but do not allow it to be a server. Just two checks from the left.
    If you're making expert rules, that you can restrict NetBios ports just to the LAN or specific IPs. Windows explorer needs port 135 for TCP connection and the other NetBios ports for making a session, mapping computer names, etc.
    You can make one rule listing all the ports 135, 137-139,445 for in and out between trusted zone and MyComputer.

But it really should not be necessary if you just have the LAN as trusted, explorer with 2 checks, and NetBios ports not blocked in the Medium security zone.

Disclaimer - I'm on XP not Vista nor Business, and using ZA version 7 not 8.

Thread Information