Thread: I can not click to open a documnet or launch an app from inside IE6

Hybrid View

lecturerrich Guest

Default I can not click to open a documnet or launch an app from inside IE6

from with gmail if there is an attachment of a document or other type of file if I click download it gives me the option to open the file. If I select that option it is supposed to write the file out to temporary.IE files under the users documents and settings.
    What actually happens is that it starts the app say MS word, tries to find the file and then displays an error message that it can not find the file giving me the full path. If I look for the file it is not there.
    If instead I download the file and save it to disk I can successfully open it.

This also has happened with a web based java app. It saves a file in the temp IE director but when it trioes to execute it it can not be found.

Why can they not find the file?? It has been suggested that zone alarm is blocking the access and preventing the file from being written to the specified path.

Does ZA move the default temp IE directory for these operations? and if so how can this be corrected

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

findley Guest

Default Re: I can not click to open a documnet or launch an app from inside IE6

<blockquote><hr>LecturerRich wrote:
    from with gmail if there is an attachment of a document or other type of file if I click download it gives me the option to open the file. If I select that option it is supposed to write the file out to temporary.IE files under the users documents and settings.
    What actually happens is that it starts the app say MS word, tries to find the file and then displays an error message that it can not find the file giving me the full path. If I look for the file it is not there.
    If instead I download the file and save it to disk I can successfully open it.

This also has happened with a web based java app. It saves a file in the temp IE director but when it trioes to execute it it can not be found.

Why can they not find the file?? It has been suggested that zone alarm is blocking the access and preventing the file from being written to the specified path.

Does ZA move the default temp IE directory for these operations? and if so how can this be corrected

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>LecturerRich,
    Have you isolated the problem to zone alarm - in other words,
    email attachments open
    with zone alarm internet security suite turned off?
    Everything works as it should with ZAISS off?
    If your answer is yes it works with ZAISS off, have you tried resetting the zone alarm database?To reset the Zone Alarm database do this:
    1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot
    Be aware that by resetting the database you will lose all your customizations.
    Findley

Thread Information