Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarm Blocking Access to TinyURL

edrcpa Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Blocking Access to TinyURL

ZoneAlarm is blocking access to TinyURL. I subscribe to a paid technical support Web site which uses TinyURL links in its weekly newsletter. I cannot access the Web site because ZoneAlarm blocks access to TinyURL. I couldn't find a setting in ZoneAlarm Pro to override ZoneAlarm. I have a TinyURL button on my Firefox toolbar. Why does ZoneAlarm consider TinyURL to be malware?

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Blocking Access to TinyURL

Hi!considerable amount of malware is distributed via the TinyURL.- Load the TinyURL URL- Go to the ZA antivirus/antispyware tab- Go to Spy site blocking- RIght click on TinyURL and allow itDone.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

radargunn Guest

Is there a workaround? A considerable amount of useful links are passed on that way as well. A lot of people I get links from use it.

I understand how it might be used maliciously, but why not just generate a popup saying Blah-blah-blah, do you know the sender?"

Also, ZA higher-ups -- why isn't there something in the doc or in email that alerts users to this? It used to work, and now it doesn't. Don't we deserve a clue?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>radargunn wrote:
    Is there a workaround? A considerable amount of useful links are passed on that way as well. A lot of people I get links from use it.

I understand how it might be used maliciously, but why not just generate a popup saying Blah-blah-blah, do you know the sender?"

Also, ZA higher-ups -- why isn't there something in the doc or in email that alerts users to this? It used to work, and now it doesn't. Don't we deserve a clue?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This User Forum exist to help the Few Users who encounter a problem and need to be guided in the right direction by Other more Experienced Users..
    ZoneAlarm Tech Support and Customer Service do notMonitor this Forum..There are two Seperate Web-links for those two services..Customer Service www.zonealarm.com/csform or www.zonealarm.com/support/ click on Live Chat Icon
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

radargunn Guest

GeorgeV, thank you for the reminder.

I did discover a workaround for the problem, however: I can turn off spy site monitoring for tinyurl.com. Go to Anti-virus/spyware&gt;Spysite blocking in ZA.

I feel a little dumb for not realizing this workaround existed, but I didn't realize why I couldn't access Tinyurl.com.

Also, I notice that Tinyurl, recognizing that its service could be used to deceive the unwary, enables users to set a tinyurl and allow users to peek at the real url.

tbeckett Guest

I have this problem as well, except that I am only using the free ZoneAlarm firewall program, not the spyware/antivirus add-on. The ZA antivirus/antispyware tab is inactive. I can find no way to exclude tinyurl.com from a blocked list.

What do you suggest? Thanks!

Hi!try to remove the toolbar...Fax

samsara Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!considerable amount of malware is distributed via the TinyURL.
    <hr></blockquote>Well ZA is supposed to
    catch such things isn't it, not just block your access to places where there is a risk of getting them.Otherwise it could just as well
    block your access to the whole Internet, and
    you'd be
    completely safe...

Hi!see here: http://www.zonealarm.com/blog/index....ribute-spyware Yes, your suggestion is the only one that will ensure 99% of protection.Cheers,Fax
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; August 1st, 2012 at 01:35 PM.

cbminfo Guest

I use the ZA Forcefield. So it would seem this tinyurl blocking thing isn't something that can be modified at the program level. Up till now I've been very happy with ZA Forcefield, but now it's taken control of my machine out of my hands.
    I can't access tinyurl [any link] with IE, or FF.
    So how do I get access back to tinyurl ? I want to see the newest cute pictures taken by Shawn Johnson.
    Last edited by cbminfo; August 12th, 2009 at 10:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information