Thread: NEED HELP: Configuration for Intuit QuickBooks Point of Sale 6.0

newmooncomics Guest

Default NEED HELP: Configuration for Intuit QuickBooks Point of Sale 6.0

I used ZoneAlarm Security Suite 8.0 for my business computer.

Our computer also runs our Point of Sale software (QuickBooks Point of Sale 6.0).

Up until yesterday, we had no problems with QBPoS or ZA working together, but yesterday morning, QBPoS was giving me messages that it could not connect to the database.

After spending close to 4 hours with QuickBooks tech support, it was determined that ZoneAlarm was blocking the connection(s) required.

Even though we've unblocked every Intuit application, and opened all the TCP/UDP ports in/outbound - the database error continued to occur.

I was forced to uninstall ZA in order for my store computer to process transactions. But I do not want to have to use another Firewall, Antivirus, and Spyware Blocker software! I've been using ZA for YEARS, and don't want to stop now because of some hidden process that is being blocked.

Intuit claims the problem is with ZoneAlarm, and the proof is in the fact that once uninstalled, the QBPoS software works without fail.

I need some help with this - sooner the better, please.

Thank you.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

pump_meister Guest

Default Re: NEED HELP: Configuration for Intuit QuickBooks Point of Sale 6.0

I am just a ZoneAlarm user like yourself... (not on staff, not a "guru&quot ...
    but here is something you may want to try...

Try setting anti-virus exceptions on the directories where your application software and the database resides.
    To do this in the Zone Alarm Control Center, click on the Advanced Options button on the Anti-Virus/Spyware Main screen, then click on Exceptions under Virus Management (not Spyware Managment).
    From there, follow the instructions in the dialog box to add an exception for the relevant directories.

Reason for the above:
    You may have gotten an Anti-virus update during the normal updating process that causes the On-Access Scanning to interact differently with your application software.

Setting Exceptions will basically tell On-Access Scanning to ignore relevant files and/or directories.
    Steve

pump_meister Guest

Forgot to mention that I recommend to reboot your computer after you set the exceptions just so that you force ZoneAlarm to restart all over with the exception(s) set.
    Steve

newmooncomics Guest

Thanks,
    However, it did not work.
    I've also disabled the AntiVirus completely - no change.
    Uninstalled v8 and installed v7 - Same problem! So I know it's not a v8 issue - and the v7 install I did not update the AntiVirus signatures.
    This is just infuriating because the only change that was made to the system was the AntiVirus signatures (I think).
    The other issue is the Corporate Blame Game - Intuit is going to blame Checkpoint, Checkpoint is going to blame Intuit, and I'm left paying for security protection that I can't use, or if I use it - I'm unable to process any customer transactions. Ugh. X-(

pump_meister Guest

Bummer...
    Sorry to make you do the extra work...

Assuming that nothing has changed in the firewall since you installed your app, I would think that the most likely change that impacted something would be either the antivirus/anti-spyware signatures
    (maybe need a spyware exception???) update, or how the app interacts with ZASS.
    Maybe you should email CheckPoint tech support (**bleep**)...

I really hate to push you to tech support like that, but I do not know what else to tell you... maybe someone else will chime in here.
    (hope so)
    Hope you get it worked out...
    Best wishes!
    Steve

pump_meister Guest

You may want to report the issue to ZA technical support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform

Thread Information