Thread: ZoneAlarm - monitoring AVG Antivirus

nkeklund Guest

Default ZoneAlarm - monitoring AVG Antivirus

This isn't really important or anything, but since I recently joined these forums, I might as well ask. I've been using ZA's free firewall since I got hit by Blaster in August of 2003. I used McAfee Antivirus for some time and got fed up with it when they changed the interface in version 8.0. It became heavily bloated and slowed my pc's performance noticeably. This is when I found out about AVG. I've noticed ever since I've used AVG, for antivirus monitoring, ZA never can detect AVG. Why is this? I know AVG is a free product and probably not used by as many users as Norton, McAfee, or Trend Micro, but the product has been downloaded and installed by millions.

This isn't really a problem, I am just curious. I don't really need ZA to monitor my antivirus product, just always wondered why ZA never put in coding to the product to detect AVG.

Thanks,

Nick

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm - monitoring AVG Antivirus

Click here &gt; http://forum.zonealarm.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=27934<hr>Notice with new version series 8.0 - ZoneAlarm anti-virus monitoring will end/ replaced with a different form of 'centralized security profile/ monitor' (where other ZoneAlarm products are &quot;advertised&quot<hr>nkeklund, here's the bottom line: if you look closely at the av list - it starts back in ~2002, back then these 'were the big anti-virus manufacturers'
    and the list goes up to ~about 2005/ 2006. { most on the official list had major offices in the US/ west coast - where ZA was}. Any exclusion of other brands of anti-virus is no dis-respect.
    Around mid 2006 some companies were 'expanding their services' beyond the traditional &quot;simple stand-alone anti-virus&quot; - for example McAfee started to market a new VirusScan/ VirusScan Plus (which actually includes a firewall - but, you would never know it unless you looked closely at the fine print - the name of the product doesn't indicate it). So what does a firewall company do when the 'game changes' - so the official list ends 2005, some 2006+ av's that are still simple av's can sometimes be detected.
    Nowadays, most antivirus' have extra features beyond 'the simple av' - they may include features/ modules that &quot;have firewall&quot; like behavior (this is a factor when you see conflict/ problems with ZA firewalls
    used with some of the current anti-virus).<hr>Bottom line anti-virus monitoring is more of convenience rather than an essential security concern. No worries. ZoneAlarm not recognizing your anti-virus does not indicate incompatibility or any problems. As you can see the selection of monitored anti-virus software is limited and of an older set.
    The new 8.0 series of ZoneAlarm firewalls will no longer have the &quot;anti-virus monitoring&quot; feature. It will be your responsibility to monitor and update your 'other brand' anti-virus software.<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC -12-8-08 - Watching The Wheels - John Lennon

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 12-08-2008 08:17 PM

"..... Norton, McAfee, or Trend Micro...."

those are about the only antiviruses that the ZA will recognize too. All the others including the avg are skipped over by the ZA.
    Best advice - turn off the antivurus monitor in the ZA. This saves some cpu cycles; and not only does windows monitor the antivirus status but the antivirus monitors itself anyways.
    Really these anitivirus monitors are a throw back from years ago and even the newest ZA Pro does not include the antivirus monitor any more (plus the "monitor" idea is really a sales pitch to get users to buy the security suite ;D )
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

nkeklund Guest

Thanks for the responses. Actually, on my one machine, antivirus monitoring, the option to turn on and off are grayed out. Says something about available for free for a year or something. Yeah, I don't really need the monitoring. As for McAfee's Firewall, I did try it some time ago, didn't care for it. Seemed to lack configuration extravaganza.

I have used the McAfee firewall years ago - really could not tell you what it looks like these days.
    I do agree the ZA is robust and strong - with many configuration and features.
    It is the perfect software firewall.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information