Thread: Hi I run ZaSS (7.0.483.xxx) behind a NetGear router under...

ems Guest

Default Hi I run ZaSS (7.0.483.xxx) behind a NetGear router under...

Hi

I run ZaSS (7.0.483.xxx) behind a NetGear router under Windows XP SP3

I have two questions to post:

1)

In Firewall> AdvancedSettings>GeneralSettings>Enable ARP Protection is Checked

Then, in the Alerts and Logs I am having multiple messages saying ZASS is blocking ARP attempts from 192.168.2.1 (Router) to 192.168.x.x (PComputer).

The router itself is also logging attempts of the same kind. However and curiously the time stamps of the router and ZASS do not coincide. In other words the router is recording pretty fewer ARP messages, about one half, than ZASS; and at times complete different.

I have got in touch with NetGear but they need the ZASS log. And again, what happen is rare to me. I was not able to find the file (log file) with the ARP messages, or in the words I could not find any ARP entries n the ZASS log files (Internet logs folder)

This messages begun to show up a few days ago, until then the Status>Blocked Intrusions was fairly clean (just cero)

2)

ZASS seems to be locking the access to internet with no apparent reason (the internet lock is unchecked) and this lock seems to be related to Outlook Express

This are some entries in the ZASS log

LOCK,2008/12/10,15:34:46 +1:00 GMT,Outlook Express,207.68.179.219,N/A
    LOCK,2008/12/10,15:34:46 +1:00 GMT,Outlook Express,192.168.2.1,N/A
    LOCK,2008/12/10,15:34:48 +1:00 GMT,Outlook Express,,N/A

The connection is re established when I click twice on the Internet red stop round bottom of ZASS.

Any help will be grateful welcome.

ems

Default Re: Hi I run ZaSS (7.0.483.xxx) behind a NetGear router under...

Desktop or laptop?
    Wireless or wired router?
    Trusted server set for the router and the dns servers in the ZoneAlarm's Firewall?
    Desktop/laptop is assigned a static IP by the router (both the IP and the MAC of the computer is locked in by the router)?
    DHCP and DNS servers are locked in the windows TCP/IP properties?
    Using another computer/ networked printer or scanner/ networked games/etc on your LAN?
    Open the fwdbglog.txt ( found in WINDOWS\Internet Logs) with the notepad.exe and paste it's contents in your next post.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ems Guest

Hi Oldsod

Desktop or laptop?

------Desktop

Wireless or wired router?

------Wireless, but wireless feature deactivated. (everything is working as if totally wired).

Trusted server set for the router and the dns servers in the ZoneAlarm's Firewall?

------Yes: Trusted Zone for router (The DNSs servers IP an the DCHP IP are the same 192.198.2.1. The router gets them automatically)

Desktop/laptop is assigned a static IP by the router (both the IP and the MAC of the computer is locked in by the router)?

------I think so. It should be that way. It is the router's work.

DHCP and DNS servers are locked in the windows TCP/IP properties?

------Do you mean in the Local area connection of my Ethernet card? There everything set to be got automatically.

Using another computer/ networked printer or scanner/ networked games/etc on your LAN?

------Nothing connected to the router which is causing the issue. (There are three routers one behind another in my instalation): First-Router of the IPS - I do not trust it since the ports are visible though closed. Second-router behind the first one, this is conected to a "secure" LAN (just cables now) without anything linked to it (just in case I have visitors, until now no nothing has been connected to it and none has used it). Third-router behind the second one to protect my own PC from eventual visitors activity (This one is meant to work as supersecure network, completely isolated from any other eventual user)

Open the fwdbglog.txt ( found in WINDOWS\Internet Logs) with the notepad.exe and paste it's contents in your next post.

---- (content of fwdbglog.txt) -----> 31343 LogFileCreated

Many thanks

ems

Message Edited by ems on 12-12-2008 08:39 AM

Thank for the details (that was a lot!).
    Hmm I myself use an invisible firewall (bridging firewall with no MAC or DHCP features, just stealthly blocking unwanted inbound connections and all ports are closed) in front of my two cheap netgear routers, with each both doing NAT/DHCP. Each router with it's own seperate route tables so the desktop behind the second router is in absolute isolation; but the laptop and guests must use the first router's route table. And of course each router is stealthing and many ports/port ranges in the router are set to block to prevent possible exploits.
    So I know exactly what you are talking about and where you are coming from when using double NAT, or in your situation TRIPLE NAT(!).

Actually I was tired the other night when responding earlier and not thinking clearly.
    After a good rest, I re-read your first post and decided if the "Lock" is activiting when it is not supposed to, then the ZA database is probably corrupted and needs to be reset.
    The ZA will start out fresh like newly installed and it should work properly after the reset.

Do this:
    [*] Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together[*] Right click on the ZA icon near your clock[*] Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up[*] Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box[*] When prompted, choose OK to restart your system [*] Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

or do it this way:
    [*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

Best regards.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-12-2008 04:20 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ems Guest

Hi Oldsod,

After cleaning the database, it seems that the problem has disappeared. Now new ARP blocks till now.

Many thanks

ems

That is so nice to hear the problem is fixed!
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information