Thread: Zonealarm preventing HP C7280 Printer from working

Hybrid View

ivanparker Guest

Default Zonealarm preventing HP C7280 Printer from working

There was a previous forum thread on this topic, but the detail
    was
    expansive, and I still have an issue getting my HP C7280 Multifunction printer working properly.
    The printer works but, it takes a long time to communciate with it, and many applications (Inc. Windows printer settings), time out or fail to communicate due to ZA doing something.
    If I turn off Zonealarm then it works fine and comms are swift.
    :-)
    I'm running Zonealarm v8.0.059 and have tried latest update download which states I'm fully up to date.
    Under ZA "Program Control", "Programs", I have even made all "HP Programs" Super Trusted and set all components to "Allow" (i.e. green tick), but to no avail.
    One of the forum moderator's previously stated the fix was that: The specific spool directory needs to be excluded.

The base directory is "c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\THE N ANY FOLDERS HERE\",

excluding the directory from the scan should solve the issue don t forget the trailing backslash.

However, I'm not quite sure where I'm supposed to enter this information.

I have tried the "Scan Targets", "Local Hard Drives", and then stepped down to the System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\ folder and exluded all sub folders and files from the scan, but this does not make any differance.

But I note that this can only be done via the GUI and there is no option for me to "forget the trailing backslash", so I'm wondering if there is somewhere else that I should be "excluding" these folders & files?

Can anyone help please?

The HP C7280 is not a cheap printer by home standards and has many great features, but after "DAYS" (not just hours), of trouble shooting I can't get many of them to work while I have ZA installed on my PC. I have even completely rebuilt the PC without ZA and it works fine, but alas as soon as I add ZA, my troubles begin and my expensive printer is reduced to a basic mode of operation, that only just works if you have the time to wait for it to time out a few times.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Zonealarm preventing HP C7280 Printer from working

With ZA 8.x there is a workaorund for the printing issues by Adding the specific printer spooler directories to the AV exclusion list.<P class=MsoNormal>We found a workaround for this issue. The specific spool directory needs to be excluded.<NAMESPACE ns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img]/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif[/img]ffice[img]/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif[/img]ffice" prefix="o" /><P class=MsoNormal>The base directory is <P class=MsoNormal>c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\ w32x86\THEN ANY FOLDERS HERE\<P class=MsoNormal>excluding the directory from the scan should solve the issue don t forget the trailing backslash<P class=MsoNormal><P class=MsoNormal>For example on my computer my hp and labelwriter entries would look like this.<P class=MsoNormal>wc:\windows\system32\spool\drivers \32x86\3\<P class=MsoNormal>c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\ w32x86\HPOFFICEJET_4200_SER2524\<P class=MsoNormal>c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\ w32x86\3\DYMOLABELWRITER_330_B0AE\<P class=MsoNormal>Don t forget the trailing backslash at end of path or it will not work.<P class=MsoNormal>
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

auroracircle Guest

Hello GeorgeV,

This is just to tell you, that you solved my HP printer problem. Thank you very much!

I faced the problem when I replaced ZA Pro 8.0.059 with ZASS v 8.0.059.

For other readers who have the same issue with ZASS 8.0.059, this is my setup:

Running MS XP Pro, HP LaserJet 1320 and postscript driver. The hang started when Properties was clicked.

AntiVirus started to scan. It takes several minutes before HP Properties pops up.

I have also a Canon PIXMA IP4000. This printer works OK with ZASS.

I excluded just HP folders. To others who have similar printer issue, just switch off AntiVirus and check if the issue disappears. If so,

follow GeorgeV exclude recommendation.

Have you tried v 8.0.298 with you hp printer and without exclusion of the HP folders?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>AuroraCircle wrote:

Hello GeorgeV,

This is just to tell you, that you solved my HP printer problem. Thank you very much!

Have you tried v 8.0.298 with you hp printer and without exclusion of the HP folders?
    <HR> to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

Thank you very much for your Feedback..

Hmmm.. Personally, I have not had a problem with ZA7 or any version of ZA 8.0 with my HP 4100 Laser printer, or my HP OfficeJet 6310xi All-in-One Printer..

maybe the fact that all four of my Computers are HP Computers, one with WinXPsp3, and three with Vista.. may be a facter in the compatibility with ZA?

--------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
    Driver version:8.0.298.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:978930709
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200902.5395
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429

-------------------------------------------------</BLOCKQUOTE>

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 02-25-2009 08:49 AM
    GeorgeV

pump_meister Guest

1. Make sure you have followed the HP recommendations, as well for configuring ZoneAlarm.

These are here:

(A little dated info, but still useful.)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...reg_R1002_USEN
    2. Also, the Zone Alarm AV exceptions are the other thing you need to set...
    To get to the place to set the exceptions,

a.
    Right click on the ZoneAlarm icon in the tray.

b.

From the menu that shows up, click on
    &quot;Restore ZoneAlarm Security Suite Control Center&quot;

c.
    When the Control Center displays, click on Anti-Virus/Spyware along the left side.

d.
    Now click on the Advanced Options button on the right side near the bottom.

e.
    In the dialog that displays, click on Exceptions under Virus Management -- Note that Spyware Management also has an Exceptions entry... make sure you click on the correct one.

f.

Click on the Add File button.
    This will bring up another dialog with a Browse button that you can use to browse to the correct directory to set it as an exception.

***Carefully read the instructions in this dialog to correctly specify the Exception.***

g.
    Use the information that you already have to help guide you to the correct folder when you click on the Browse button.
    How you specify the folder or file can make a difference.

h.
    I always recommend rebooting just to make sure ZoneAlarm is restarting from the beginning with the new settings, although I am not sure if that is actually necessary.

ivanparker Guest

Thanks for this, very detailed advice.
    :-)I have followed these steps and excluded the appropriate \spool\ folders from the AV scan.This has solved the communciations problem and overal performance seems to have increased.Thank you guys.

Your Thank you for your Feedback..
    GeorgeV

bgreg Guest

Okay... I used the &quot;work around&quot; and posted the the files to eht exceptions folder, and (horray!) now the printer is working.

However, the C7280 is also a scanner, and my scanner doesn't work as of yet.
    Is there also a work around for that?
    I was hoping that the workaround would have also fixed that problem as well.
    Any help on this one would be appreciated!
    Thanks

Thread Information