Thread: ZoneAlarm and Recording with Audacity

hedera Guest

Default ZoneAlarm and Recording with Audacity

I just installed ZAISS v.8 on my Vista Home Premium SP1 laptop, and last night I tried to do my first recording. I use the laptop (along with 2 condenser mics and a Presonus Firepod connected to my firewire port) to record my chorus rehearsals, which we podcast; and my recording software is Audacity (beta 1.3.6), the open source software. I've used it for over a year alongside the McAfee Internet suite with no problems.

Last night I could not get Audacity to record. It came up, it connected to the Firepod, but it wouldn't write to disk. I replugged all the cables and rebooted the laptop, no luck. I finally turned ZAISS off altogether, and voila! Recording. This isn't as risky as it sounds; having the laptop wireless card live occasionally screws up the recording, so my standard configuration for recording is with wireless turned off, meaning the computer is not connected to the Internet. I raised this issue on the Audacity forum and was told that "aggressive" security suites regularly interfere with both audio and video recording in this way.

I have a workaround. I can always turn the security suite off. I would prefer to continue to run it, if I can configure it to allow recording. Can someone recommend how I need to configure ZA to allow Audacity? At the moment, in the Programs list I have Audacity set to Trusted (2 bars), with Access to the trusted and Internet zones allowed; server access to all zones is set to Ask, as is "send email." How should it be set? Do I need some kind of expert rule?

During my recording issues last night Audacity's access was set to "ask" and ZA never opened its yap. I just couldn't record. So if "ask" was the issue, ZA never asked.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZoneAlarm and Recording with Audacity

This User Forum exist to help the Few Users who encounter a problem and need to be guided in the right direction by Other more Experienced Users..
    ZoneAlarm Tech Support and Customer Service do notMonitor this Forum..There are two Seperate Web-links for those two services..Customer Service www.zonealarm.com/csform or www.zonealarm.com/support/ click on Live Chat IconZA Tech Support (Requires Valid ZA License Key) www.zonealarm.com/tsform---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:965879481
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200812.5025
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1 (32-Bit)
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200812.5025
    A Vast 4.8 Anti-Virus Home Edition
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hi!sorry no experience with this ad-hoc settings but you should try to set any elements of your audio device in ZA program list to Super Trusted Permission (three green bars) and not only two bars.Did you modify any permission in ZA program control?ZASS programs are set by default to a level to ensure maximum compatibility, did you change any setting of programs or deny any of them?You could try to reset the ZA setting, ensure you are on AUTOLEARN and try again the software. This way:1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after rebootCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

hedera Guest

Thanks, fax, I'll give your suggestions a try. I also got a suggestion from an Audacity user that I identify the files Audacity creates, *.au and *.aup, and tell the AV program that they aren't viruses. I'll try yours first. When the recording failed I was on auto-learn with almost no settings changed from the defaults.

hedera Guest

Update: 3 bars was what it took. With Audacity program permission set to 3 bars I was able to record with ZA running. Thanks again for taking the time to suggest!

Thread Information