Thread: Live Messenger and ZASS V8

raingod Guest

Default Live Messenger and ZASS V8

Hi,

I've upgraded to ZASS 8 (see exact version numbers etc. below) and I'm having problems with Microsoft Live Messenger.

On ZASS V7, I kept "Block Internet Servers" (Under Firewall->Advanced) active permanently but gave msnmsgr.exe access and server internet-zone rights and this worked fine (along with turning off encryption in the "IM Security" tab of ZASS).

However, after the upgrade to ZASS V8, there are no IM specific security settings and I have to disable Firewall->Advanced->Block Internet Servers to get a stable IM session. Otherwise it drops intermittently and video calls are not possible. This is a global setting so I am not happy leaving this open and have to enable/disable whenever I use IM. It also leaves me more vulnerable during an IM session.

I have proved this multiple times over a period of weeks (enable/disable "Block Internet Servers" is the key).
    I have this problem on two similarly configured PCs, one of which has been put back to ZASS 7 and IM works fine as described above.

Anyone any ideas how I could fix this permanently on ZASS V8?
    Thanks!

Windows XP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 8.0.059.000
    Truevector Security Engine Version 8.0.059.000
    Driver Version 8.0.059.000
    Anti-Virus Engine Version 6.0.2.678
    Anti-Spyware Engine 5.0.202.0
    Anti-Spam Version 5.0.61.9957

Also, Spy Sweeper 5.8.1.55
    Microsoft Live Messenger 2008 Build 8.5.1302.1018

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Live Messenger and ZASS V8

Hi!personally never been able to run MSN live without server rights both on version 7 and 8.You must been lucky...Sorry if I cannot bring you any easy solution.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

raingod Guest

Default Re: Live Messenger and ZASS V8

Thanks for the quick reply Fax.

Yes - seems odd. In version 7 it looked like the server rights I had given to the actual executable file overrode the global "Block Internet Servers" setting. But this doesn't appear to be true in V8.

like - you said, maybe I was lucky - but not any longer!

Thread Information