Thread: host/site in trusted zone

Hybrid View

mrsteve0924 Guest

Default host/site in trusted zone

From time to time I use a remote admin program to connect to my brother's computer. Since we both are assigned dynamic IP addresses I set us both up with host names and registered them with DYNDNS. Everything works for a while as it should except when one of our IP addresses changes. I assumed since the host/site name was being updated with dyndns with any IP address changes(i have confimed it is) then the IP address would then automatically update in Zonealarm's trusted zone list. It looks to me like it doesnt. I have to click on the lookup tab to refresh the address.

Is this the way this is supposed to work?

i have an old version of ZA free version, 5.5.062.011, running windows XP SP2.

thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:5.x
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

zaswing Guest

Default Re: host/site in trusted zone

Re:"Is this the way this is supposed to work?"
    I suspect so. I doubt that ZA can know what DYNDNS is doing which is why lookup is needed.

mrsteve0924 Guest

i guess that makes sense. i bit of a pain though. i have to walk a not so knowledgeable computer person through the steps to update the IP address in the firewall section. i was hoping this would work the way i envisioned. oh well.

why cant ZA lookup the host name just like a web browser does?

Actually the ZA uses the same dns server as inserted into your windows. It will not do the dynamic dns servers though.
    ZA has difficulties on some occasions with just the computer names on the local area network - and this is with statically assigned IPs.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

mrsteve0924 Guest

not sure what you mean by: It will not do the dynamic dns servers though.

my understanding is the dyndns is just the service i use to make sure my domain name is updated whenever my IP address changes. once updated there it should be available on all DNS servers, no?

i mean i am able type in my domain name in any browser from anywhere and i can always connect to it.

still not clear on why ZA can't do this seemingly simple thing

No not all dns server available for home/internet users will receive the domain name lookups from dynamic dns. And to add to this there are several providers that always ignore dynamic dns IPs and dns servers.
    So it is not always feasible to get a connection.

Plus if using a host name or site name and once the ZA has obtained the IP, it will never do another lookup and continue to use the out-of date IP (the ZA does not bother with the TTL packets and stays static).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information