Thread: Cidaemon

peter_sch Guest

Default Cidaemon

Hi,
    As I didn't find any proper solution by searching this forum or the web, here's my problem:
    cidaemon.exe keeps dumping messages in the log (OSfirewall) wrt file access & logwrites. Have done everything suggested, at least what I found
    :
    in options window, I have checked the 2nd box (allow program access), I even gave it at some time maximum trust level.
    no matter what I do , I still keep getting these security warnings, rated "high".
    I am running XP sp2zonealarm security suite 8.0.059.000
    Can anyone enlighten me?
    thanks
    Peter

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

findley Guest

Default Re: Cidaemon

<blockquote><hr>peter_sch wrote:
    Hi,
    As I didn't find any proper solution by searching this forum or the web, here's my problem:
    cidaemon.exe keeps dumping messages in the log (OSfirewall) wrt file access &amp; logwrites. Have done everything suggested, at least what I found
    :
    in options window, I have checked the 2nd box (allow program access), I even gave it at some time maximum trust level.
    no matter what I do , I still keep getting these security warnings, rated &quot;high&quot;.
    I am running XP sp2zonealarm security suite 8.0.059.000
    Can anyone enlighten me?
    thanks
    Peter

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>peter_sch,
    On the issue of OS firewall alerts on cidaemon.exe, have you seen Guru Oldsod's advice in this thread:http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...ssage.id=54519
    and I quote:
    &quot;disable the Index service in windows most of the alerts that you have listed will disappear&quot;
    Findley

peter_sch Guest

Hi,
    yes, I did exclude two folders from the indexing: the internet logging folder and the c:\windows\system32\zonelabs\
    folder. Indeed the number of entries for cidaemon decreased, yet not disappear completely, especially for other users (my kids, who have a non-admin account) on the same pc . I did restart the indexing service
    however, I still get a lot of entries for explorer.exe on the *ZLDIR. Is this logical pointing to c:\windows\system32\zonelabs or to someplace else?
    thanks
    Peter

findley Guest

Hi,
    To eliminate the indexing service alerts
    mentioned in your previous post
    have you tried disabling the indexing service completely - it will eliminate the alerts you describe in your posts as well as the examples posted by another user in the thread link posted earlier.
    The suggestion to disable the indexing service is found in alot of tweak guides.

It's a resource hog; falls in the category of unnecessary bloat and by disabling it
    eliminates the cidaemon alerts and speeds up the computer
    by freeing up the
    ram and resources of the indexing service which is always running in the background.
    More information on idexing service at http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Serv...ng_Service.htm
    Findley

Thread Information