Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trusted Site URL Entry

brbrown Guest

Default Trusted Site URL Entry

I am using Windows XP and used to be able to access a Microsoft Discussion Group before I updated Zonealarm to 8.0.065.000. Now I can't, so I have been trying to insert the Microft Discussion Group URL into my Zonealarm Free Trusted Sites Zone but when I type the address in the Host Site box then click OK, I get a message saying Zonealarm cannot recognise the Microsoft address I have typed in. Can anyone offer any help please.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Trusted Site URL Entry

I tried a nslookup in the command for the MS site:

Server: resolver1.opendns.com
    Address: 208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us
    Address: 208.69.32.132

C:\Documents and Settings\SkyRider>

Does this IP work for you?
    This IP of 208.69.32.132 is one of those blanket IP used by MS - it covers a lot of other sites such as sa.microsoft.com and other companies.
    I think this IP resolves to a cached server, not a genuine MS web server.

The actual IP range for the "microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups" is 207.46.192.0 thru to 207.46.255.255 (and the ASN is 8070). The actual complete range of this IP block for the MS servers is 207.46.0.0 to 207.46.255.255 (just one of the many MS ranges).

You should not really need to add in the IPs as Trusted - the browser access and server permissions should suffice. (assuming this is a regular http connections).

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-02-2009 06:26 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

brbrown Guest

Hello Oldsod. Thanks for the reply. The IP address did not work but maybe I am barking up the wrong tree.If I can explain further - Recently when trying to log in to the Microsoft Discussion Group using page

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...8-839a15bef262 =en&cr=US,

when I click Sign In and enter my email address and password then click Sign in again, I get the usual message saying "information entered is to be sent over an unencrypted connection". When I click Continue, I used to be able to use the Forum but now I get a page load error stating Address Not Known.
    If I click my back arrow and cancell the encryption message and click the back arrow again until the Forum page shows again, the Sign In button has changed to Sign Out and I can continue to use the Forum normally.

I therefore thought that Zonealarm was blocking access in some way. Does that seem likely? Brian

Interesting.
    Just tried the default url and got this:

Name: http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx

the actual login site is the same:

Name: http://login.live.com/login.srf

then went to the actual site and tried to log in, using this url http://www.microsoft.com/communities...?wa=wsignin1.0 in the IE7 browser, but basically got got this message instead for a page:

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website has errors, and should not be trusted.
    Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
    We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website. Click here to close this webpage.

More information
    If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
    When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
    If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private information into the website.
    For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.

Kind of points to the direction something is wrong with the web server and there is no blame at your end. Maybe there is something wrong with the cached server and the web server certificates.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-02-2009 07:13 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

brbrown Guest

Yes, very interesting. I think I will write again to Microsoft mentioning the point about Certificate errors. I'll let you know how I get on. Brian

Kind of wondering what the outcome will be.
    Thanks.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

brbrown Guest

Afraid both the UK and USA have ignored the information completely and each one again referred me to the other. Hope someone else can help us.

The ZA should not be blocking the site(s).
    Any additions to the host file in the windows?
    Maybe there is something blocked by the host list?
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

brbrown Guest

There is nothing obvious to me. All there is in the host list is my other networked computers IP addresses, the Microsoft Discussion group IP address and Microsoft.Com host name all as trusted sites. So, somehow, I guess I need to make Microsoft listen and take the matter seriously. I've posted the problem on the Discussion group as well in the hope that one of Microsoft's gurus would help but all to no avail as yet.

<blockquote><hr>brbrown wrote:
    There is nothing obvious to me. All there is in the host list is my other networked computers IP addresses, the Microsoft Discussion group IP address and Microsoft.Com host name all as trusted sites. So, somehow, I guess I need to make Microsoft listen and take the matter seriously. I've posted the problem on the Discussion group as well in the hope that one of Microsoft's gurus would help but all to no avail as yet.
    <hr></blockquote>
    Thanks for the update.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information