Thread: Zone Alarm FireWall Settings for Using Outlook 2007 with Comcast ISP

krackatoa Guest

Default Zone Alarm FireWall Settings for Using Outlook 2007 with Comcast ISP

How do I set the ZASS Firewall Settings to use Outlook 2007 with Comcast ISP?I've read a lot of people have experienced problems.
    A couple years ago I usedOutlook 2003 with Zonealarm successfully, but I can't remember how I set it.
    CurrentlyComcast is reporting they are switching to a new email system called Smartzone. Not heard'a lot of positive things about it either --- so want to make my own switch now to Outlook 07BUT keep my Zone Alarm security.
    Thanks in advance!Krackatoa
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:978172681
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200902.5335

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Zone Alarm FireWall Settings for Using Outlook 2007 with Comcast ISP

<blockquote><hr>Krackatoa wrote:
    How do I set the ZASS Firewall Settings to use Outlook 2007 with Comcast ISP?I've read a lot of people have experienced problems.
    A couple years ago I usedOutlook 2003 with Zonealarm successfully, but I can't remember how I set it.
    CurrentlyComcast is reporting they are switching to a new email system called Smartzone. Not heard'a lot of positive things about it either --- so want to make my own switch now to Outlook 07BUT keep my Zone Alarm security.
    Thanks in advance!Krackatoa
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:978172681
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200902.5335

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>
    Contact Comcast - they will have advice and helps for the new change overs.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

krackatoa Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm FireWall Settings for Using Outlook 2007 with Comcast ISP

Oldsod,
    I noted
    my
    query was reviewed 93 times as of Feb 16th 2:38 pm PST, prior to yoru replythus I must assume there was much interest in my question and the answer ---
    FYI ---
    Comcast will not provide any details to assist with Zone Alarm settings.Their idea of computer security is accepting their free MCCafee product.
    Thus I guess itwill be trial and error for me.
    Thank you very much for your time. and all you do for this Fourm.
    Krackatoa

Oldsod,
    I noted
    my
    query was reviewed 93 times as of Feb 16th 2:38 pm PST, prior to yoru replythus I must assume there was much interest in my question and the answer ---
    FYI ---
    Comcast will not provide any details to assist with Zone Alarm settings.Their idea of computer security is accepting their free MCCafee product.
    Thus I guess itwill be trial and error for me.
    Thank you very much for your time. and all you do for this Fourm.
    Krackatoa

<hr></blockquote>

Thanks.
    Just doing a little bit of forum cleaning and get some unanswered posts answered.
    No doubt it is frustrating for posters who never get any kind of answer and then feel ignored.

Any description of the ports used and protocols involved?
    I am guessing if you reset the ZA database before starting the new email servers connections from comcast and then immediately let the ZA find these ports and IPs by itself, it should then work. Let the ZA keep track of the new connections and just keep allowing the alerts to get the ZA trained.
    But first before just set up the email client to ask for those new ports and maybe the new server IPs.
    The ZA should do the rest.

McAfee from comcast, or for myself, Nortons free from rogers. Still got to use the ZA to be safe.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

krackatoa Guest

Good evening Oldsod --
    Good news!
    I was able to obtain assistance from Comcast.They told me to go into the Outlook 2007 setup and change the port settingfor outgoing SMTP to Port 587 vice 25.
    Incoming POP3 remained 110.
    Afterdoing this I rebooted ---and now can access my email via Comcast's newSmartmail, or through my Outlook 2007.

I made sure all green trust bars andgreen
    X's for the Outlook 2007 in ZASS --- and thus far (for me) all is working okay.(As a caution to others, I I have read in other blogs about Comcast service where people have not had good success with changing over to Port 587)
    I am still using ZASS 7.0.483.000 due concern expressed in the Forum about continuingchallenges with the newer version.
    Thanks again ----Krackatoa

Anti-virus signature DAT file version:978395700
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200902.5345
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Good evening Oldsod --
    Good news!
    I was able to obtain assistance from Comcast.They told me to go into the Outlook 2007 setup and change the port settingfor outgoing SMTP to Port 587 vice 25.
    Incoming POP3 remained 110.
    Afterdoing this I rebooted ---and now can access my email via Comcast's newSmartmail, or through my Outlook 2007.

I made sure all green trust bars andgreen
    X's for the Outlook 2007 in ZASS --- and thus far (for me) all is working okay.(As a caution to others, I I have read in other blogs about Comcast service where people have not had good success with changing over to Port 587)
    I am still using ZASS 7.0.483.000 due concern expressed in the Forum about continuingchallenges with the newer version.
    Thanks again ----Krackatoa

Anti-virus signature DAT file version:978395700
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200902.5345
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    <hr></blockquote>

Lovely!
    Great to hear!
    You have one less concern with all of those computers at your house.
    I suppose comcast selection of the irregular port 587 does enhance some security and maybe eases the work load for their servers.
    But I can see some people with router or gateways issues for the loss of connections or in other types of software firewalls (but not the Zone Alarm!).

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information