Thread: How to reduce scan time

caclone Guest

Default How to reduce scan time

Currently running a deep scan over 3 drives, 2@160gb and 1@500gb, which has currently taken 26 hours and is still going.

Task Manager indicates that CPU time is between 8-10%. There are 38 processes in the manager but only the scan and System Idle process are taking CPU time.

My system is a P4 running WinXP SP3 and using ZAS current release.

Other than not do a Deep scan, are there any suggestions as to how to reduce this time in the future?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: How to reduce scan time

1.) When First Installed, the First Scan is a Deep Scan of all Drives,2.) after The First Scan Completion, you can go into, Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware, Advanced Optionsa.) Scan Cheduleb.) Updatec.) Scan Target to limit Scan to just C:d.) Scan Mode - Set to Normal or Quick Scane.) Scan Options set Priority to High to Speed up Scan..--------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:978281909
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200902.5335
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

caclone Guest

Thank you for the reply..............but reducing the typ of scan seems to also reduce the quality of the scan.

I just am recovery from an attack of one of the Virut viruses which was in an email exe file sent to me from a known party. Wiped my C drive and reinstalled windows; reinstalled a backup; ran ZAS on all drives and found all was clear. Ran Malwarebytes and it discovered some leftovers of the files that were destroyed on another drive............up came ZAS with a discovery of 14 items. which were immediately removed. This prompted me to go for a deeper scan............so I went all the way to the DEEP scan.

As this is written, 27.5 hrs have gone by since the start of the scan and 466 infections have been discovered by ZAS. I am sure that many of these that are not of the Virut group,or I hope they are not, but why now do we get what would appear as a meaningful scan when these seemed to be pasted before?

This prompts me to ask this question: If I would have been using one of the alternatives to the "Normal" scan would I have caught this Virus in the beginning and not needed Malwarebytes at all. It seems to me that I really need the paid Malwarebytes to caught what ZAS does not.....or would all have been fine if I used the Utra Scan first and then always use the Deep Scan for my scheduled scan and would not have needed a third pary malware or a Unhackme program?

Are we the users not being properly informed that if we save time in a scan we will also maybe missing items that would have been caught by a deeper scan??

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>caclone wrote:
    Thank you for the reply..............but reducing the typ of scan seems to also reduce the quality of the scan.

I just am recovery from an attack of one of the Virut viruses which was in an email exe file sent to me from a known party. Wiped my C drive and reinstalled windows; reinstalled a backup; ran ZAS on all drives and found all was clear. Ran Malwarebytes and it discovered some leftovers of the files that were destroyed on another drive............up came ZAS with a discovery of 14 items. which were immediately removed. This prompted me to go for a deeper scan............so I went all the way to the DEEP scan.

As this is written, 27.5 hrs have gone by since the start of the scan and 466 infections have been discovered by ZAS. I am sure that many of these that are not of the Virut group,or I hope they are not, but why now do we get what would appear as a meaningful scan when these seemed to be pasted before?

This prompts me to ask this question: If I would have been using one of the alternatives to the "Normal" scan would I have caught this Virus in the beginning and not needed Malwarebytes at all. It seems to me that I really need the paid Malwarebytes to caught what ZAS does not.....or would all have been fine if I used the Utra Scan first and then always use the Deep Scan for my scheduled scan and would not have needed a third pary malware or a Unhackme program?

Are we the users not being properly informed that if we save time in a scan we will also maybe missing items that would have been caught by a deeper scan??
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>1.) Generally Speeking, If you keep ZA updated and Automatic Updating every 3 hours or sooner, the Normal Scan set as Default should be faily safe..2.) No Security Software is ever 100% safe..3.) You also have the Human factor.. The Security Software will try to Protect your Computer, but if the Human in front of the Keyboard, Visits Unsafe Sites or regularly Downloads Games, Etc from Questionable sites or Clicks on Attachments, you can Accidentally Over-ride the Protection the Software was intended to protect you from..--------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:978281909
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200902.5335
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV

caclone Guest

I must admit that you are correct in that as a user I tend to think that the Security World has be protected from what ever might happen. Unfortunately, it just does not work that way. In my case, I had received a file from someone that I new and was unaware that their computer had that virus or where the original exe originated. Well, it certainly explains why we need to backup or systems on a regular basis to be protected from the unexpected.

Thanks for your reply.

Your Welcome
    GeorgeV

Thread Information