Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire wall will not let me file share

moria Guest

Default Fire wall will not let me file share

I have file & Printing sharing between my Vista OS and my XP Pro OS.
    I have to turn the Z fire wall completly off is order for one computer to see the other.
    The windows firewall seems to allow "Exceptions" but ZoneAlarm does not seem to.What adjustments can I do that will allow the Z+Zone to

be on?
    Thank youMoria

Default Re: Fire wall will not let me file share

<blockquote><hr>moria wrote:
    I have file & Printing sharing between my Vista OS and my XP Pro OS.
    I have to turn the Z fire wall completly off is order for one computer to see the other.
    The windows firewall seems to allow "Exceptions" but ZoneAlarm does not seem to.What adjustments can I do that will allow the Z+Zone to

be on?
    Thank youMoria
    <hr></blockquote>

Set the router or gateway's IP as trusted into the Zones of the firewall of the ZA.
    Set the Vista machine's IP as trusted in the Zones of the firewall of the ZA.
    Set the Trusted Zone Security slider to medium level.
    Make sure the Program listed in the ZA needed for the connections are set with Trusted server rights (these should appear in the ZA alerts if the program control slider is at the medium level).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

caclone Guest

&quot;Make sure the Program listed in the ZA needed for the connections are set with Trusted server rights (these should appear in the ZA alerts if the program control slider is at the medium level).&quot;

I am having the same issue and thought that there was no solution. So I am sorry to jump in this thread, but could you please provide more information as to what the programs are that are &quot;needed for the connection&quot;?

My network has two desktops and a wireless laptop using ZAS and WinXP for the network. One desktop and the laptop are using WinXP Pro SP3 and the other desktop is using WinXP Home SP3.

Do not understand which programs are needed to be set for the trusted zone since I am only interested in print and file sharing only and do not care about other program sharing between these units. Purpose of the network is to share the internet, printer, and transfer files.

<blockquote><hr>caclone wrote:
    "Make sure the Program listed in the ZA needed for the connections are set with Trusted server rights (these should appear in the ZA alerts if the program control slider is at the medium level)."

I am having the same issue and thought that there was no solution. So I am sorry to jump in this thread, but could you please provide more information as to what the programs are that are "needed for the connection"?

My network has two desktops and a wireless laptop using ZAS and WinXP for the network. One desktop and the laptop are using WinXP Pro SP3 and the other desktop is using WinXP Home SP3.

Do not understand which programs are needed to be set for the trusted zone since I am only interested in print and file sharing only and do not care about other program sharing between these units. Purpose of the network is to share the internet, printer, and transfer files.
    <hr></blockquote>

No problem.
    Set the ZA Program Contol slider to the medium level and set the alerts to high.
    Then watch the alerts and follow these properly.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

caclone Guest

You said originally:
    1. Set the router or gateway's IP as trusted into the Zones of the firewall of the ZA.
    2. Set the Vista machine's IP as trusted in the Zones of the firewall of the ZA.
    3. Set the Trusted Zone Security slider to medium level.
    4. Make sure the Program listed in the ZA needed for the connections are set with Trusted server rights (these should appear in the ZA alerts if the program control slider is at the medium level)

I am not sure what to do with your reply since my program control slider is either Max Auto Min Off.
    I have taken the liberty to number your original instructions and my question relates to item number 4.

What are the name of the programs that need to be changed to be set with the Trusted server rights?

I am using WinXP and WinXP Pro in SP3 and my router is an Linksys wireless and I am using the windows network setup.

BTW, I have always wished that I could print and file share within my network without opening the ZA firewall. Thanks for your help!!!!

hammernu Guest

Each computer will need to have the IP of the other computer in Firewall &gt; Zones as Trusted.

<blockquote><hr>HammerNU wrote:
    Each computer will need to have the IP of the other computer in Firewall > Zones as Trusted.
    <hr></blockquote>

Hi Hammer!
    Nice to see you back again!
    Long time no see - glad you have made it back!

Yes, please, ensure the other PC's IP is added as Trusted and do thesame for the router IP (as Trusted) into the Zones of the Firewall of the ZoneAlarm.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

caclone Guest

Wait just a minute. The Fire Wall is what I am trying to avoid.

My network is great as long as the Firewall is not locked.

Lock out of the internet and there goes the intranet.

To print, currently since the printer is attached to one of the desktops, from either the other desktop or laptop, the firewall can not be locked at this time.

Now I will be installing a network printer which is a case of a different color since I still will not be able to file share when the firewall is locked.

Back to item 4.....what programs have to be adjusted to all the intranet to work when the internet is blocked?

You have alluded to the answer but unfortunately I need the details regarding the identification of the programs that need to be in the trusted area to allow for intranet file sharing when the firewall is locked.

You will see the needed trusted access and trusted server as seen in the ZA alerts - which is why I suggested the earlier advice to set the ZA up for better alerts.

There is no hard and fast rules - every windows and software and computer is different from the other.
    In other words, what works for me does not neccessarily work for you.
    My software is probably different from your and possiblely so is my windows.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

caclone Guest

For the last time, I'm sorry to be such a pest but it is because of my ignorance. If print and file sharing works with ZA running and the internet not locked, what changes when ZA is on internet lock that also stops print and file sharing?

Or better yet, with ZA on internet lock, is one able to use the network for file sharing and printing?

Under WinXP, what setting is to be changed so the it works when the internet is on Lock?

I am confused because it would appear that we are talking about setting changes in either WinXP, ZASS, or both and not some other programs running under Windows that need to be changed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information