Thread: ZASS Outbound Programs Secured for Internet Access

krackatoa Guest

Default ZASS Outbound Programs Secured for Internet Access

My ZASS on my laptop indicates I have 1010 program(s) secured for outbound access!Seems unusually high, whereas my PC has about 168.
    programs.When I checked through the list
    on my laptop ZASS
    I have a ton of Microsoft Hewitt Packard installer entries,MailFrontier Desktop, Malicous Software Removal, MSP Launcher apps entries, etc.Do I really need to retain these --- would it not be safe to remove them?

Thank youKrackatoa
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:978292345
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200902.5335
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

findley Guest

Default Re: ZASS Outbound Programs Secured for Internet Access

Krackatoa,

1010 programs - that's not a typo? You can delete them, they are only permissions and if by error you delete a program from the listing you will be prompted by zone alarm to give the permissions again - so no harm. I keep my program listing down by reviewing it periodically. So you don't have to do it one by one (especially with the number of entries you have) Do this: To delete contiguous large block of program entries just Shift and click to block them to be removed; for non-contiguous entires use CTRL and click.

Findley

krackatoa Guest

Findley,
    Thank you very much for the confirmation that I can safey delete the excessive entries.(redfaced) indeed it was 1010 --- but I have cut it down to 500 on the first pass, and will continue today.Will also increase my viligence at keeping the numbered arrowed in the future.
    Thank you!Krackatoa

<blockquote><hr>Krackatoa wrote:
    Findley,
    Thank you very much for the confirmation that I can safey delete the excessive entries.(redfaced) indeed it was 1010 --- but I have cut it down to 500 on the first pass, and will continue today.Will also increase my viligence at keeping the numbered arrowed in the future.
    Thank you!Krackatoa
    <hr></blockquote>

In addition...
    Remove any .tmp files (either on the drive or from in the Temp folders), installers such as .exe or msexe (located from the desktop or 'documents and settings' or from the Program directory or from 'my documents' or the Temp folders), old windows updates, any MS MSRT entries, previously uninstalled or relics from updated programs and software, any .cab files or self extracting files, and even any prefetch files (if found) for a general cleanup advice.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-16-2009 06:44 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

krackatoa Guest

Oldsod --
    Many thanks for your additional guidance for cleaning out unnecessary items !!
    I've benefited several times personally from the Forum since joining late last yearand the results have lessen my
    frustrations and helped me become more aware how to
    maintain as securesystems as possible.
    Between my wife and I at home we have two PCs, two notebooks and now a netbook
    (all different manufacturers)
    and two different OS (Vista and XP Pro) so life is never dull trying to keep themup and running safely!
    Previously I've been running ZASS on all computers..
    The devoted time that you and the group of Forum regulars provide to all us is in answeringsuch a wide and diverse range of questions (and often duplicate I'm sure) is very, very
    much appreciated.

It is truly an ongoing education reading about all the various problems that come up and the potential solutions.

respectfully,Krackatoa

findley Guest

Krackatoa,
    Here's another recommendation to help clean up
    some of the things pointed out by Oldsod. Download and run on each of your three computers http://www.ccleaner.com/<div class="section">

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! <div align="right">Click here for a Quick Tour...Download CCleaner now...<div class="section">Cleans the following<div class="features">Internet Explorer
    Temporary files, history, cookies, Autocomplete form history, index.dat.<div class="features">Firefox
    Temporary files, history, cookies, download history, form history.<div class="features">Google Chrome
    Temporary files, history, cookies, download history, form history.<div class="features">Opera
    Temporary files, history, cookies.<div class="features">Safari
    Temporary files, history, cookies, form history.<div class="features">Windows
    Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files and Log files.<div class="features">Registry cleaner
    Advanced features to remove unused and old entries, including File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more... also comes with a comprehensive backup feature.<div class="features">Third-party applications
    Removes temp files and recent file lists (MRUs) from many apps including Media Player, eMule, Kazaa, Google Toolbar, Netscape, Microsoft Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and many more...<div class="featuresbot">100% Spyware FREE
    This software does NOT contain any Spyware, Adware or Viruses.<div class="section">
    <div class="section">Regards and good luck with your cleanup:8}<div class="section">Findley

I use ccleaner to remove the junk files at least several times a day - and to manage the cookies for the IE.
    One of the nice things is add it to startup - which is okay if you got the extra few seconds to spare, but windows starts all clean and fresh and that includes removing the unwanted cookies.

Plus ccleaner has over-write passes set higher than what windows is capable of - windows basically just removes the link for the file when it deletes and most of the deleted file still exists on the drive.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information