Thread: Unable to block IP addresses

thesurfer Guest

Default Unable to block IP addresses

Hej,

I am unable to block IP addresses 202.187.202.46 and 193.17.174.22 Is there a reason for this?

I have Security Suite 8.0.059.000 running on XP. The Firewall/Expert screen looks like this

1 X 202.187.202.46 202.187.202.46 Any Any Any
    2 X 193.17.174.22 193.17.174.22 Any Any Any

Thanks for any ideas...

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Unable to block IP addresses

Instead of using the same Source and Destination for the IP(s), now use for the Source as 'My Computer' and for the Destination now use the IP(s) (you can enter both in the same destination for the same rule).

This will block outgoing connections to the unwanted IPs.

To block incoming connections from the IP(s), make another rule but use these IP(s) in the Source and 'My Computer' for the Destination.

Whereas blocking by using the very same IPs in both the source and destination as originally configured will only attempt to block connections between themselves. This is why it did not work - your own computer was never entered into the needed blocking rule.

In many ways it is better instead of using the Expert in the Firewall to just block sites, but use the Zones for blocking sites; whereas the expert rules are used for controlling specific times and protocols with directions and addresses, thus the Expert is really designed for creating 'allowed rules and connections.
    Blocking sites in the Zones blocks both incoming and outgoing connections at the same time and is a little easier and faster at the same time.

To block IPs and URLs in the Zones of the Firewall, it is described nicely in a previous post, see:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=99278#M20309

Best regards.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-23-2009 02:01 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

thesurfer Guest

Oldsod,
    Aha....I got it.
    It is easier than I made it to be.
    Thanks for the help.

<blockquote><hr>thesurfer wrote:
    Oldsod,
    Aha....I got it.
    It is easier than I made it to be.
    Thanks for the help.
    <hr></blockquote>

Yes easy once you have done it or know how.

Understand that the Zones can be used also for allowing sites and IP as per the Zones and not just for blocking sites.
    Usual IPs to Add as Trusted into the Zones of the Firewall are the DNS, DHCP, Loop-Back (127.0.0.1), and perhaps the time servers for Windows. These IPs and sites are then used in the Zones for Access and Server in the ZA Programs - to control which Zone is allowed and by which way (access only or access and server only).
    (access is defined as allowed connections and server is defined as allowing unsolicited uncoming connections to that particular program).
    By using the Zones in the Firewall and which particular zone is applied (trusted or internet) along with the individual programs in the ZA Programs lists, the applications are then easily and quickly setup and configured as per your own needs, wants and desires.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information