Thread: Zone Alarm Extreme Security / Malwarebytes software compatibility

freissig Guest

Default Zone Alarm Extreme Security / Malwarebytes software compatibility

Yesterday I purchased Malwarebytes. Since then I have not been able to do a successful boot with these two programs installed. I have process explorer and monitor this process. All the programs except for Zone Alarm Extreme Security successfully load. As soon as Forcefield.exe loads the boot freezes. I uninstalled Malwarebytes and then disabled Force Field and anti spam and spyware protection on ZA ES. Then I reinstalled Malwarebytes and rebooted. ZA SE Force Field still tried to load. I uninstalled ZA ES and went back to ZA Internet Security, of which I still have a paid subscription and am able to successfully boot.

What steps do I take to ensure ZA ES and Malwarebytes can exist together?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Extreme Security / Malwarebytes software compatibility

There is a possiblity that Malwarebytes in the 'paid' full versions with "real-time" protection is conflicting with ZAX. It is known that sometimes 'anti-spyware' with 'real-time protection' can conflict with ZA firewall products (such as SpywareDoctor - some folks need to shut-off some
    of their 'guards -real-time protection - in order for it work with ZA;
    some will only
    be left with on-demand scanners).
    Anyhows, let's try this - in Malwarebytes - if there are 'options' - shut-off the "real-time" protection module and then try to install ZAX (of course 'properly -uninstall your current ZA Suite, then re-install ZAX).
    I have ZA Pro + ForceField (stand-alone) with Malwarebytes (free) version - no problems. Often, when the senior staff of volunteers here are asked to recommend an additional anti-spyware (to work alongside ZA or to help clean malware) - it is the 'free' version of Malwarebytes - it's pretty effective as a 'on-demand scanner.' Personal notes: as good as it is - I do get false positives (but they're easy to see) so it would not surprise me to see that Malwarebyte's real-time module is a factor here with your situation.<hr>Click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 03-08-2009 01:05 AM

freissig Guest

Default Sort term solution Re: Zone Alarm Extreme Security / Malwarebytes software compatibility

I changed the Malwarebytes settings to not start on Windows boot. As soon as the boot finishes, I start the Malwarebytes protection.

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Alternate solution- Zone Alarm Extreme Security / Malwarebytes software compatibility

Alternate solution - you can shut-off ForceField's &quot;virtualization&quot; or &quot;not Startup&quot; ForceField for the initial boot-up/ start, but then re-start 'virtualization'/ or start 'ForceField'
    once you get started with internet browsing.

freissig Guest

Default Re: Alternate solution- Zone Alarm Extreme Security / Malwarebytes software compatibility

I see where you can disable Force Field. Virtualization is already disabled. Just turn off Force Field and reset Malwarebytes to start upon Windows boob?

Thread Information