Thread: ZA Pro thinks **bleep** is trying to modify ZA files blocks it?

chris_john Guest

Default ZA Pro thinks **bleep** is trying to modify ZA files blocks it?

I'm running Windows XP SP3 with **bleep** Pro and Zone Alarm Pro 8.0.059 (firewall only)

I have ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1 in **bleep**.ini and no incompatibility symptoms or other obvious problems with the way my machine running.

My concern is that I've looked in my Zone Alarm logs and there are multiple entries from the OSFirewall saying

**bleep**! antivirus service was prevented from changing the behavior of ZoneAlarm Pro by modifying the file WINSYSDIR\ZoneLabs\lib*

After many reported blocked attempts to change this file, ZA reports that **bleep** then tried to change other ZA files, and was blocked. The executable which is trying to make the changes is c:\Progam Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServe.exe, which appears to be genuine **bleep** not malware.

Why would **bleep** be trying to modify ZA files, or why would ZA think that? I can see why ZA would not want its files altered, as that's the sort of thing malware would attempt, and I can see why **bleep** might be scanning ZAs files, but why modify?

I've asked a similar question on the **bleep** forum

This didn't happen with ZA 7.0.483 - only since upgrading to ZA 8.0.059

Anyone else seen this, or can help? Thanks

Chris

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

chris_john Guest

Default Re: ZA Pro thinks **bleep** is trying to modify ZA files blocks it?

I can't see how to modify my post, but the forum has rendered it a bit nonsensical by replacing the name of the anti virus software I'm asking about by ** bleep ** - you can see which program it is in the path name to the executable.

Why does the Forum do that!

Chris

<blockquote><hr>chris_john wrote:
    I'm running Windows XP SP3 with **bleep** Pro and Zone Alarm Pro 8.0.059 (firewall only)

I have ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1 in **bleep**.ini and no incompatibility symptoms or other obvious problems with the way my machine running.

My concern is that I've looked in my Zone Alarm logs and there are multiple entries from the OSFirewall saying

**bleep**! antivirus service was prevented from changing the behavior of ZoneAlarm Pro by modifying the file WINSYSDIR\ZoneLabs\lib*

After many reported blocked attempts to change this file, ZA reports that **bleep** then tried to change other ZA files, and was blocked. The executable which is trying to make the changes is c:\Progam Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServe.exe, which appears to be genuine **bleep** not malware.

Why would **bleep** be trying to modify ZA files, or why would ZA think that? I can see why ZA would not want its files altered, as that's the sort of thing malware would attempt, and I can see why **bleep** might be scanning ZAs files, but why modify?

I've asked a similar question on the **bleep** forum

This didn't happen with ZA 7.0.483 - only since upgrading to ZA 8.0.059

Anyone else seen this, or can help? Thanks

Chris

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

<hr></blockquote>
    Actually the Ava5t's is just scanning the ZA files, not altering or modifing them.
    Just opening the files to attempt a scan by the Ava5t is labeled by the ZA as 'modify ZA files'.
    But this warning from the ZA is part of the self protection from malware.
    Even opening with the explorer the ZA folders gives the same alert that ZA files blocked a process from scanning it's files.
    ZA balks at anything trying to open it's files with the 'modify ZA files blocked' alerts and logging.
    To everyone, all the time.
    Just ignore these false alarm and continue.
    The alerts about the Ava5t are harmless.
    Be concerned if it is a malware attempting to open (and modify) the ZA files

Setting the ZA up for compatibility in the Ava5t'5 .ini is not going to stop the ZA alerts, although editing the .ini file is probably good anyways.

You could set the ZA main folders and two main files (zlclient.exe and vsmon.exe) to be exempt from the Ava5t'5 full time resident scanning and just scan the ZA files with the complete demand scans or scheduled scans.
    This is what I do with my antivirus scanner.
    On the other hand the Ava5t still does the boot time scan, when the ZA is not active, and no red labeled alerts or logs. So every ZA file can still be completely scanner anyways.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

<blockquote><hr>chris_john wrote:
    I can't see how to modify my post, but the forum has rendered it a bit nonsensical by replacing the name of the anti virus software I'm asking about by ** bleep ** - you can see which program it is in the path name to the executable.

Why does the Forum do that!

Chris
    <hr></blockquote>

Yup.
    PITA.
    Just try helping a poster to remove some virus or malware and have the helpful instructions for removals with lots of ** bleep ** in the urls and links thus wrecking the helping post and making it look like junk - not the easiest way to give help to some user with an infected computer.
    BTW...
    ** bleep ** = Ava5t or A*v*a*s*t

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Hi!and now the real answer it is to avoid spammers that keep posting ".....I havejunked ZA with **bleep**... " type of messages.Otherwise we will spend all day cleaning the board instead of helping Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!
    and now the real answer
    it is to avoid spammers that keep posting ".....I have
    junked ZA with **bleep**... " type of messages.

Otherwise we will spend all day cleaning the board instead of helping

Cheers,
    Fax
    <hr></blockquote>

Looking at the general and regular contributors posters at the beep forum, I would say they are a very friendly, intellignet and helpful group. Not in the typical spammer category.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Hi!of course, didn't say that... Just gave the reason for the **bleep** in the first place Cheers,Fax

Hi!
    of course, didn't say that
    Just gave the reason for the **bleep** in the first place

Cheers,
    Fax
    <hr></blockquote>

I never intended to imply that.
    Sorry.
    But maybe beep should be un beeped at this forum?

To be fair for beeping at the forum, there should be beeping for the other security vendors not just selected ones.... such as cisco, mcafee, norton, eset, avira, kaspersky, pctools, webroot, netgear, superantispyware, spybot, lavasoft, and many many others.
    There are many fanboyz and spammers using these other products too.
    Not just a selected few.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Oldsod wrote:

To be fair for beeping at the forum, there should be beeping for the other security vendors not just selected ones.... such as cisco, mcafee, norton, eset, avira, kaspersky, pctools, webroot, netgear, superantispyware, spybot, lavasoft, and many many others.
    Not just a selected few.

Oldsod.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, never understood the selection that someone did... But lately I have not seen any major fanboy apart from 'I go back to NIS, Norton... bla bla'Its just a matter of keeping the forum clean and on topic also to help users to find relevent post about solutions other than unhelpful 'trash' ZA . OK... rant off... lets stop this off topic discussion. Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-10-2009 08:45 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>

<HR>
    Oldsod wrote:

Not just a selected few.

Oldsod.

<HR>
    </BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes, never understood the selection that someone did...
    But lately I have not seen any major fanboy apart from 'I go back to NIS, Norton... bla bla'

Its just a matter of keeping the forum clean and on topic also to help users to find relevent post about solutions other than unhelpful 'trash' ZA .

OK... rant off... lets stop this off topic discussion.

Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-10-2009 08:45 AM
    <hr></blockquote>

Oh boy did somebody say a rant thread!!!

okay beep firewall and beep firewall and beep firewall used to have fanboys, but times have changed and so has their crowd and this appears to be no longer the case as it was in the past with their fanboys. These beeps should be unbeeped.

But beep firewall and products have ***** fanboys so this still should be kept beeped and not unbeeped.

But beep antivirus and beep antivirus and beep antivirus should be beeped but these are not beep. Perhaps there will be future beeping as these are now presently unbeeped.

But beep antivirus and beep antivirus and beep antivirus whcich are now beeped should be unbeeped as these to seem to have a more sophisticated crowd and this should be unbeeped.

Then there is beep spyware and beep spyware and beep spyware which are not beeped but should be beeped.
    But beep spyware and beep spyware and beep spyware are now beeped but should not be beeped anymore.

There a few beep sites that should be beeped.

Makes sense to me.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information