Thread: Have to turn off firewall to download software???

bmcrose Guest

Default Have to turn off firewall to download software???

First, if I'm asking this question in the wrong forum and don't get an answer I will understand.What I am trying to do is download a small software program for Citi Bank and it isn't working.
    (The download never starts).
    I've tried using the Unprotected Browser and it still won't download.
    When I phoned Citi Tech Support for help, they told me that I had to turn the firewall off.
    Huh?
    That doesn't sound right to me.
    Isn't there a Plan B or C or...
    I didn't get security software just to turn it off or turn parts of it off so that I can do stuff on the computer.
    Thanks,bmcrose

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Default Re: Have to turn off firewall to download software???

<blockquote><hr>bmcrose wrote:
    First, if I'm asking this question in the wrong forum and don't get an answer I will understand.What I am trying to do is download a small software program for Citi Bank and it isn't working.
    (The download never starts).
    I've tried using the Unprotected Browser and it still won't download.
    When I phoned Citi Tech Support for help, they told me that I had to turn the firewall off.
    Huh?
    That doesn't sound right to me.
    Isn't there a Plan B or C or...
    I didn't get security software just to turn it off or turn parts of it off so that I can do stuff on the computer.
    Thanks,bmcrose

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

<hr></blockquote>

Downloading using HTTP or FTP?
    Program control slider set to the middle level before doing the download?
    Trusted security slider at Medium?
    Does the download start and then stop - is download initiated by one server yet the download file comes from another server?
    What do the ZA logs or Alerts show for the blocked events - turn on the logging and alerts to On and High for best results?
    The browser used for the download has both trusted and internet access and trusted server rights?
    Other security installed on the computer?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

bmcrose Guest

Answers to your questions:
    Downloading using HTTPProgram Control slider is still set to Auto
    (13 days before switching to Max)Trusted Zone slider is set to MediumThe download never starts, there is no indication of anything starting.I don't know how to tell if the download is initiated by one server and the download file comes from another.I'm using IE7.
    Trust Level is 3 vertical green bars.
    Access:
    Trusted &amp; Internet are allowed.
    Server:
    Trusted allowed.ZA Alerts &amp; Logs are set to On and High.I cleared Firewall, OSFirewall &amp; Program logs before download attempt.
    After download attempt the logs were still clear (empty).No other security software is installed.
    bmcrose

<blockquote><hr>bmcrose wrote:
    Answers to your questions:
    Downloading using HTTPProgram Control slider is still set to Auto
    (13 days before switching to Max)Trusted Zone slider is set to MediumThe download never starts, there is no indication of anything starting.I don't know how to tell if the download is initiated by one server and the download file comes from another.I'm using IE7.
    Trust Level is 3 vertical green bars.
    Access:
    Trusted & Internet are allowed.
    Server:
    Trusted allowed.ZA Alerts & Logs are set to On and High.I cleared Firewall, OSFirewall & Program logs before download attempt.
    After download attempt the logs were still clear (empty).No other security software is installed.
    bmcrose
    <hr></blockquote>

Okay ...is the download site pingable from the command?
    Is the lInk being attempted directly from an email or from a new tab in the address bar?
    Got as second browser installed on the computer to try the download link instead of using IE?
    Turned off the FF, then cleaned the browser cache, and then tried the download (the firewall should be on, not off)?

Never turn off mine own firewall to do a download - first of all, it should work by the present configurations and second if it fails then something justs needs to be adjusted in the firewall settings.
    BUT if the IE can download a file from another site without any issues, then it should be able to download from the bank server just as well.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

I agree with Guru Oldsod..However, It may besome strangeconfiguration requirement with Citi Bank?I'm using ZA Extreme 8.0.298.000 and IE7 and Just connected to both Wacovia Bank and Welsfargo Bank and downloaded Files from both with no modification of my ZAX or ForceField.. ??Just a though a side thought..1.) make sure your Browser has full permisions in ZAX Program control, 2.) usually if you can login to your bank account, and click on the download option and the Download never starts,it may be due to a Bank Server problem, Lag time time out, or sometime displays a pop-up asking you to click OK to confirm the download, but you never see the pop-up if it is displayed behind the Browser display? &lt;sigh&gt;Just my two cents..ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:8.0.298.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
    Driver version:8.0.298.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:980523339
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200903.5545
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.130.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.95.0
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support