Thread: Settings within Vi$ta

za_avastfan Guest

Default Settings within Vi$ta

Dear ZA Forum,

I'm helping a friend with the computer (Vista) whereas I run XP (hence my lack of familiarity). Could somebody kindly provide some insight for these questions?

- Should one disable Vista's firewall if another firewall (eg. ZoneAlarm) is running?
    - Should one disable Windows Defender if another anti-malware program (eg. MBAM) is resident and running?
    - Should one disable Vista's 'anti-virus monitoring service' if it doesn't recognise the virus scanner (eg. **bleep**)?

Thank you for your time. I look forward to the response!

Best wishes,

ZA_avastfan

Default Re: Settings within Vi$ta

<blockquote><hr>ZA_Avastfan wrote:
    Dear ZA Forum,

I'm helping a friend with the computer (Vista) whereas I run XP (hence my lack of familiarity). Could somebody kindly provide some insight for these questions?

- Should one disable Vista's firewall if another firewall (eg. ZoneAlarm) is running?
    - Should one disable Windows Defender if another anti-malware program (eg. MBAM) is resident and running?
    - Should one disable Vista's 'anti-virus monitoring service' if it doesn't recognise the virus scanner (eg. **bleep**)?

Thank you for your time. I look forward to the response!

Best wishes,

ZA_avastfan
    <hr></blockquote>

Hi ZA_Avastfan!

I am not a Vista user but, in general never use two software firewalls at the samwe time, so NO to using the Vista firewall with the ZA.

I never use the Defender but in general the rule of thumb was it was okay to use two or more spyware scanners as long as one of the scanners is resident or full time and the remainder of the spyware scanners are strictly 'on demand' (not full time). But there should be a setting for the Defender to disable it's full time guard and use only it's tools and on demand scanner.

Strange, Vista should detect the !A*Vast antivirus scanner in the Windows Security Center.
    Maybe resetting the window's file (it probably is corrupted) will make the Security Center 'recognize' your antivirus.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...25(VS.85).aspx

As admin for the command, using the command...

winmgmt /verifyrepository

If the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent", run this command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

It may fail as the service may not shut down immediately and cause interferrence, but repeating the salvage repository command should finally work. If it continues to not work - shows STOP instead, then first disable the Windows Mangement Instrumentation service, then attempt.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information