Thread: Firewire Problem

petergoode Guest

Default Firewire Problem

I need to come to the proverbial well here for help, again.
    I wondered if anyone would think it possible that ZA Internet Suite would block function of a firewire
    card.
    I am running XP Pro on a Dell Optiplex 330, and the latest version of ZA Suite.
    About a year ago I installed a firewire card into the system, and it worked fine with my Canon DV camera.
    However, now the PC does not recognize the camera.
    Relevant facts:
    I connected the camera via the same firewire cable to an XP Home system I have, and it was recognized...so, not a camera or cable issue2.
    Under device manager on the XP Pro system, the card is shown with no conflicts3.
    I uninstalled the device, rebooted, XP went through it's sequence of noting recognition of the new hardware (i.e. the card) and installing it, but still the camera is not recognized.
    Unless there is a physical problem with the card itself, I am wondering if there might be a ZA setting affecting this...before I go through the process of uninstalling ZA to see if the problem is still present, I thought I would see if anyone had any other thoughts.
    I will comment that the original ZA was the 7.0, and has been twice upgraded with the newer 8.0 versions, though via upgrade, I did not do a clean install each time.
    Thanks as always
    to anyone who might offer insight.
    Peter

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Firewire Problem

<blockquote><hr>petergoode wrote:
    I need to come to the proverbial well here for help, again.
    I wondered if anyone would think it possible that ZA Internet Suite would block function of a firewire
    card.
    I am running XP Pro on a Dell Optiplex 330, and the latest version of ZA Suite.
    About a year ago I installed a firewire card into the system, and it worked fine with my Canon DV camera.
    However, now the PC does not recognize the camera.
    Relevant facts:
    I connected the camera via the same firewire cable to an XP Home system I have, and it was recognized...so, not a camera or cable issue2.
    Under device manager on the XP Pro system, the card is shown with no conflicts3.
    I uninstalled the device, rebooted, XP went through it's sequence of noting recognition of the new hardware (i.e. the card) and installing it, but still the camera is not recognized.
    Unless there is a physical problem with the card itself, I am wondering if there might be a ZA setting affecting this...before I go through the process of uninstalling ZA to see if the problem is still present, I thought I would see if anyone had any other thoughts.
    I will comment that the original ZA was the 7.0, and has been twice upgraded with the newer 8.0 versions, though via upgrade, I did not do a clean install each time.
    Thanks as always
    to anyone who might offer insight.
    Peter

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

If it helps then disable the firewire monitoring by the ZA....open the ZA | Firewall | Main | Advanced button | uncheck the 'Filter IP traffic over 1394' | Apply and OK | shutdown the ZA in the right click of the ZA tray icon | restart the ZA from the All Programs.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

petergoode Guest

Thanks, of course, for pointing me in the direction of the ZA firewall filter, I did not know that was there!
    I was so very much hoping that would solve the problem, but with the filter unchecked, ZA closed per the tray icon and then restarted, with confirmed lack of check in that box after starting it up again, the camera is still not generating any response from the PC.
    When my wife's Vista system had troubles with ZA (blocked access to Windows Update), I found that the only work around was to fully uninstall it, including deleting the internet logs folder, registry entries, etc., and then reinstall from scratch...if that works, or not, I will put up another post...still remains a possibility that the problem has something to do with the card itself or some other Windows software conflict...but clarification might help someone else who runs into this one.
    pg

Thanks, of course, for pointing me in the direction of the ZA firewall filter, I did not know that was there!
    I was so very much hoping that would solve the problem, but with the filter unchecked, ZA closed per the tray icon and then restarted, with confirmed lack of check in that box after starting it up again, the camera is still not generating any response from the PC.
    When my wife's Vista system had troubles with ZA (blocked access to Windows Update), I found that the only work around was to fully uninstall it, including deleting the internet logs folder, registry entries, etc., and then reinstall from scratch...if that works, or not, I will put up another post...still remains a possibility that the problem has something to do with the card itself or some other Windows software conflict...but clarification might help someone else who runs into this one.
    pg
    <hr></blockquote>

You could and easier, reset the ZA database thus removing the previous blocking by the ZA and starting the ZA 'fresh'. then remove the filtering for the firewire in the ZA and then connect to the firewire port.

How to Reset the database:
    [*] Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together[*] Right click on the ZA icon near your clock[*] Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up[*] Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box[*] When prompted, choose OK to restart your system [*] Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

petergoode Guest

Thanks again for another approach...
    Interestingly, this was one of the steps tech support had me perform with my wife's Vista system when it was blocking Windows Update, and it did not solve the problem...nor did uninstall from Control Panel...it required the total system cleansing...so, once I get back from a pending business trip, I will try to reset approach and see what happens...of course, I have not proven that it is a ZA problem in the first place, I am suspicious...for example, ZA blocks one of my thumb drives, and the only way to get it to work is to turn off on-access scanning...I have no idea why that worked, but it did not fix the firewire problem... but I guess the only way I can know for sure if my firewire problem is due to ZA is to go down the path of resets and uninstalls...
    I did not realize that newer videocams have done away with firewire and are able to transfer via usb...well, at least that's what I was told...
    &lt;g&gt;
    With appreciation, Peter

Thanks again for another approach...
    Interestingly, this was one of the steps tech support had me perform with my wife's Vista system when it was blocking Windows Update, and it did not solve the problem...nor did uninstall from Control Panel...it required the total system cleansing...so, once I get back from a pending business trip, I will try to reset approach and see what happens...of course, I have not proven that it is a ZA problem in the first place, I am suspicious...for example, ZA blocks one of my thumb drives, and the only way to get it to work is to turn off on-access scanning...I have no idea why that worked, but it did not fix the firewire problem... but I guess the only way I can know for sure if my firewire problem is due to ZA is to go down the path of resets and uninstalls...
    I did not realize that newer videocams have done away with firewire and are able to transfer via usb...well, at least that's what I was told...
    <g>
    With appreciation, Peter
    <hr></blockquote>

And the presently used usb 2 will be replaced in the near future with a usb 3, again another step in changes.

On access scanning interferring with thumb drives....should not have happened...but then I do not use the ZA antivirus and instead use another antivirual solution from another vendor.
    But somehow it could be the autoplay from windows and the scanner had issues or conflicts.
    Disabling the autoplay for the thumb drives and removeable media would improve this problem?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information