Thread: Trying ZoneAlarm Pro need help with definitions, and Questions!

billed Guest

Default Trying ZoneAlarm Pro need help with definitions, and Questions!

I'm a real computer duffer so the terms are beyond me many times. I can't find a place on the ZA web sight with a detailed description. I don't know what the terms across the top of the site list in the Privacy section mean. There must be some place where I could do some reading.

I'm having several problems.
    1. Had to turn off cookie control to get signedin after registering. I have green checks all the way across on the two ZA entries in the sight list. My browser is FireFox.
    2. When I bootup I get an alert saying that Generic Host process for Win32 Services is trying to act as a server.
    application: svchost.exe source IP: 0.0.0.0:Port135
    I think this means I have a problem, because I'm not a server just a surfer.
    3. Tried the automatic lock, seem smart to lock while the computer was "idle". Couldn't get it turned off. Tried turning it off and restarting computer--still locked. Tried turning off computer and rebooting--still locked. Finally uninstalled ZA and reinstalled--that worked. relieved!

Any help would sure be appreciated!

I'm trying to learn to stand on my own and be safe with this tool(computer)

Thanks,
    Billed

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Trying ZoneAlarm Pro need help with definitions, and Questions!

<HR>

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. <HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time. 7.) NOTE: Make sure all of the following Programs have Trusted and Internet access (2 Green Check Marks):a.) All Microsoft and Windows Programs have Green Check marks for Trusted and Internet Access..b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe) also allow Trusted Server Rights c.) IE Crash Detectiond.) Internet Explorer or FireFoxe.) Malicious Software Removal Toolf.) True Vector Service (If it is listed)g.) Zone Alarm Clienth.) Zone Alarm Updating Clienti.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet accessand Send Mail all need Green check Marks..
    Here is a List of the Most common User problems..a.) The first thing a Hacker, Trojan or Virus tries to do if they infect your computer or gain access to your Computer, thru an Email Attachment or pop-up on a Website or user over-ridding the Security alerts by the firewall, is to shutdown, any Firewall, AV/AS.. That is why some users have problems updating ZoneAlarm or any other security program..vsmon.exe/TrueVector is the first thing that loads when your computer starts to boot up, the ZA tray Icon is just a Icon that loads later in the Boot-up process..and TrueVector /vsmon.exe is the last thing to shutdown when your computer shuts down to insure that your computer is always protected..That is why " if Load ZoneAlarm on startup in not Un-checked" and computer Rebooted, Truevector will stay in Memory and will not be removed during Install or Upgrade, in fact the install may fail because Truevector in an attempt to protect your computer will think that the New Install attempt to install a new version of Truevector may be a Hacker Attempting to shut down Truevector..That is why it is very Important to use the Un-Check "Start ZA on Startup" method so that a New Upgrade Copy of TrueVector/vsmon.exe can be installed..b.) some Computer Users think that if one Firewall and anti-Virus is good, two or three different ones running at the same time must be better?

6.)- have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154. Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. <HR>--------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
    Driver version:8.0.298.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:980904327
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200903.5585
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

naivemelody Guest

billed, ok - with your mouse &gt; right click your ZA system tray icon (big Z) near the bottom right clock &gt; see/ click &gt;
    &quot;Help&quot;= this is your User Guide =
    this will explain all of the basic settings and use of ZA firewall (or in ZA you can left-click on &quot; ? Help &quot; ). Spend some time to read thru and you can also obtain a pdf copy - to print out a big set.<hr>My suggestions to your questions:1. Had to turn off cookie control
    &lt;&gt; the privacy controls can be a bit problematic for some, it can deny access to some sites and hamper proper web surfing, what you can do - you can shut cookie control to complete 'off', as well as: ad-blocking, mobile-code control to off. Since you are using Firefox - this more secure browser will do the same as ZA's privacy control. Site List - you may shut that off. Later on, once you are familiar with ZA functions you may experiment with turning on some of these settings I had just mentioned. It's up to you. <hr>2. When I bootup I get an alert saying that Generic Host process for Win32 Services is trying to act as a server. &lt;&gt; This is a system service that needs server trust. Anyhow do this for this program:

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services - left click &quot;Trust Level&quot; column and put three green bars= super trust level. Next column
    - Access &gt; two green checks
    ; Server &gt; 'trusted' one green check, then 'internet' one Red X ;
    Mail &gt; Red X

So you will see Three green vertical bars, Three green checks, two Red X - across<hr>3. Tried the automatic lock - no need to try it out for now. Read thru the User Guide to understand 'why and how' and how to set-up; otherwise it's not really necessary for regular users/ average users - it's more of an optional use for advanced users.<hr>You can also click here for more info. &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645<hr>Have Questions - Need Answers?
    A) - You can use a ZoneAlarm Support Center Knowledge Base
    - click here &gt; http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/..._page!PAGETYPE

&lt; click here
    B) - You can use the 'red box search' at the top of each page. ____________<a target="_blank"></a> Search!

<a target="_blank"></a>This is a good way to find solutions.

Simply type in the keywords of your
    issue and past posts will be listed.

C) - You can open up a two-way &quot;live service chat&quot; with Customer Service - click here &gt;Customer Service Live Chat
    &lt; click here

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 03-28-2009 02:19 AM

billed Guest

Hey NaiveMelody,

Thanks for the response! It was helpful, and extremely clear. The link to the Knowledge Base is great. I've already been there this morning. My help button doesn't work, so it has been tough trying to evaluate this thing with my limited knowledge of computing.

Regards,
    billed

Thread Information