Thread: ZoneAlarm Free blocking printer sharing

kleimann Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Free blocking printer sharing

Have installed the free version of ZA, only to find that my "guest" computer cannot print to the shared printer. When I turn ZA off, everything works fine. I have tried investigating the setting responsible for this, but have had no luck. Any assistance here will be very much appreciated!

zaswing Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free blocking printer sharing

kleimann Guest

Sorry, this is not helpful. I am not having issues with my network or filesharing or any of that. My problem exists with my PRINTER. Everything else works just fine. Again, my GUEST COMPUTER CANNOT ACCESS THE HOST PRINTER unless I turn ZA off. The guest computer can see the host computer just fine.

zaswing Guest

On the Programs list of the guest computer:
    Is spoolsvc.exe allowed with two green checks?
    Is the printer application allowed with two green checks?

On the Zones firewall tab:
    Is the printer IP listed as trusted?
    Is the LAN listed as trusted?

I am assuming all along that by the shared printer you mean a printer attached to the router. If it's some other configuration, then you need to describe it so someone might help you.

I agree with Zaswing..It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

kleimann Guest

My guest computer does not have ZA installed on it at this time, only my host computer. And, on my firewall/zone tab, I have 5 entries listed (Realtek RTL8139..., DHCP server, DNS servers (2), and Loopback adapter. All of these are listed as trusted. I do not see any "printer IP" or LAN. Also, the printer is not connected through the router, it is hookup directly to the host computer. Again, as I toggle ZA off, the guest computer can print, even with the host computer off. Thanks for working with me on this.

zaswing Guest

yeah!!

zaswing Guest

yeah!! to GeorgeV

zaswing Guest

GeorgeV - looks like I have no rights to delete my own message, oh, well

kleimann,
    Ok. Good what you have on the zones tab, but the guest computer is missing.
    Having never (i.e. after about 2002 at work) seen a printer hooked to a computer locally, I can't help anymore.

Other than guess, big time, as follows:
    Something like - is the "host" computer permitting the guest computer IP in the trusted zone? Is the host computer's print server service permitted to listen for requests from the computers in the trusted zone? i.e. the comp that runs ZA should have trusted server set on the programs list - certainly spoolsvc, svchost -- and likely some printer service as well.

That tidbit said, I'm clueless, especially in view of you mentioning that with the host comp off, the guest computer can still print if ZA is off. Of course ZA is off if the computer is off ... ouch - this sort of configuration is just not known to me, some sort of passthrough thing.

In case you think your configuration is bad or something, please, don't. Printing through another computer is a frequent setup - it's just I have no idea about it.

There is a trick to deleting your own Message..you can Delete your own message if:1.) your the only Message in the trend.2.) or if nobody has Replied to your message you want to Delete.The purpose for those restrictions is so you don't accidentally Delete somebody else reply to your post...
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information