Thread: Program Access

turnerfour Guest

Default Program Access

I am using ZA Free on a WinXP Pro computer.

I have a program by Tenebril called Sticky Note that has the functionality of sending notes to others who also have the program. When I try to send a note, ZA does NOT prompt me for program access, but the note will not send unless I disable ZA.

I have checked the Program Control tab and cannot find the program listed.

I have tried exiting the program, rebooting the computer, restarting the program, but still no program access prompt from ZA.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

stupefy Guest

Default Re: Program Access

RECOMMENDATION: Upgrade ZoneAlarm Free to Version 8.0.298.000
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Program Access/ StickyNote-Tenebril

From Tenebril Support:<hr>What port setting does StickyNote use?

StickyNote opens port 4109. If you're using a firewall and you want others to be able to send you notes, you should make sure your firewall allows incoming traffic on port 4109.

StickyNote 9 allows you to change its listening port so that it can support port forwarding. Please see StickyNote's documentation for details.<hr>You can right click the ZA tray icon &gt; see &quot;Help&quot; = this is your User Guide. There are chapters on how to: open ports, set up
    expert firewall settings, etc.<hr>&gt; http://www.tenebril.com/kb/showitem.php?faq_id=38

&gt; http://www.tenebril.com/kb/browse.php<hr>&gt; Tenebril Support &gt; http://www.tenebril.com/support/

email/ phone support
    - ask them for specific settings for ZoneAlarm firewalls+StickyNote<hr>What you can try, shut-down StickyNote, then start-up - with ZA program control open, see in ZA Alerts &amp; Logs &gt; if there are any 'blocks' in any of the different panels. If so you can turn things around. (may try un-install of StickyNote and re-install - watch ZA)<hr>Additionally - You can open up a two-way &quot;live service chat&quot; with ZA Customer Service - click here &gt;Customer Service Live Chat
    &lt; click here<hr>Why does my firewall say StickyNote is trying to access the Internet?

------------ STICKYNOTE 9.0 ------------

StickyNote is always listening for incoming notes; this allows your friends and colleagues to send you instant notes. You should allow StickyNote to connect to the Internet so that it can receive notes from your friends.

If you wish to turn this feature off in StickyNote, please see StickyNote's INI file and its documentation.

StickyNote is not broadcasting any information about you over the Internet. It is waiting to receive notes from your friends. Allowing StickyNote to access the Internet will not compromise your security.

------------ STICKYNOTE 8.0 and 8.1 ------------

By default, StickyNote does not try to access the Internet. If, however, you turn &quot;network notes&quot; on, StickyNote needs to connect so other people can send you notes. StickyNote has to &quot;listen&quot; to the Internet for incoming notes, so when a friend sends you a note, StickyNote can display it on your screen.

If you don't want StickyNote to access the Internet, we suggest you turn off the &quot;network notes&quot; feature. Your firewall should then be content. Otherwise, if you want StickyNote to have access, you should instruct your firewall to let StickyNote connect. As long as your firewall blocks StickyNote, you will not be able to receive or send notes outside your computer.

StickyNote is not broadcasting any information about you over the Internet. It is waiting to receive notes from your friends. Allowing StickyNote to access the Internet will not compromise your security.

turnerfour Guest

Default Re: Program Access

<blockquote><hr>stupefy wrote:
    RECOMMENDATION: Upgrade ZoneAlarm Free to Version 8.0.298.000
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html
    <hr></blockquote>
    Thank you for your suggestion and the information, stupefy.

turnerfour Guest

Default Re: Program Access/ StickyNote-Tenebril

<blockquote><hr>NaiveMelody wrote:
    From Tenebril Support:<hr>What port setting does StickyNote use?

StickyNote opens port 4109. If you're using a firewall and you want others to be able to send you notes, you should make sure your firewall allows incoming traffic on port 4109.

StickyNote 9 allows you to change its listening port so that it can support port forwarding. Please see StickyNote's documentation for details.<hr>You can right click the ZA tray icon &gt; see &quot;Help&quot; = this is your User Guide. There are chapters on how to: open ports, set up expert firewall settings, etc.<hr>&gt; http://www.tenebril.com/kb/showitem.php?faq_id=38

&gt; http://www.tenebril.com/kb/browse.php<hr>&gt; Tenebril Support &gt; http://www.tenebril.com/support/ email/ phone support - ask them for specific settings for ZoneAlarm firewalls+StickyNote<hr>What you can try, shut-down StickyNote, then start-up - with ZA program control open, see in ZA Alerts &amp; Logs &gt; if there are any 'blocks' in any of the different panels. If so you can turn things around. (may try un-install of StickyNote and re-install - watch ZA)<hr>Additionally - You can open up a two-way &quot;live service chat&quot; with ZA Customer Service - click here &gt;Customer Service Live Chat click here<hr>Why does my firewall say StickyNote is trying to access the Internet?

------------ STICKYNOTE 9.0 ------------

StickyNote is always listening for incoming notes; this allows your friends and colleagues to send you instant notes. You should allow StickyNote to connect to the Internet so that it can receive notes from your friends.

If you wish to turn this feature off in StickyNote, please see StickyNote's INI file and its documentation.

------------ STICKYNOTE 8.0 and 8.1 ------------

By default, StickyNote does not try to access the Internet. If, however, you turn &quot;network notes&quot; on, StickyNote needs to connect so other people can send you notes. StickyNote has to &quot;listen&quot; to the Internet for incoming notes, so when a friend sends you a note, StickyNote can display it on your screen.

If you don't want StickyNote to access the Internet, we suggest you turn off the &quot;network notes&quot; feature. Your firewall should then be content. Otherwise, if you want StickyNote to have access, you should instruct your firewall to let StickyNote connect. As long as your firewall blocks StickyNote, you will not be able to receive or send notes outside your computer.

<hr></blockquote>

Wow, NaiveMelody, I am blown away that you took the time and effort to locate this information for me. I truly appreciate it.

Since my original post, I have found that Sticky Note actually is listed in the ZA's Program Control list. I did not recognize it because it is listed as Architecture launch vehicle. I have given that program access and can now send notes with ZA running, but I still have a problem receiving Sticky Notes from family, even when I turn off ZA, so there must be something on my system blocking them - even though I have disabled spyware blockers, AV programs, etc.)

Thank you, so much, for your help.

Thread Information