Thread: What is the order of priority for the settings?

dalouism Guest

Default What is the order of priority for the settings?

Hi,

I should like to know the order of priority for the following firewall settings :
    1. Firewall Custom
    2. Firewall Expert
    3. Program Control
    4. Program Expert

For example, if Firewall Custom is set to 'Allow', Firewall Expert to 'Block', Program Control to 'Allow' and Program Expert to 'Block', what action will the firewall take -- 'Allow' or 'Block' the request? (Do not confuse this example with my real question.)

Perhaps the table below will help to get me the answer that I am looking for. Let 'A' denote 'Allow', and 'B' denote 'Block'. What will the action of the firewall be for each of the following settings? (The table has five columns. I have laid out the heading of the table neatly, but, out of laziness, I have crammed the columns together in the body of the table.)

FW Custom | FW Expert | Prog Control | Prog Expert || Action
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    AAAA A
    AAAB
    AABA
    AABB
    ABAA
    ABAB
    ABBA
    ABBB
    BAAA
    BAAB
    BABA
    BABB
    BBAA
    BBAB
    BBBA
    BBBB B

I have filled in the action for the first and last entries in the table. Can someone fill in the other 14 entries?

/ Louis

zaswing Guest

Default Re: What is the order of priority for the settings?

Don't think I'm dismissing your question because I'm not.
    I struggled a bit with this one as well. To date not sure if I got it.
    That said, have you read the 2 main sections in HELP regadring the sequence of evaluating rules? There are some ANDs and ORs which confused me a bit.
    But the bottom line is application rules (Program list) evaluated first the program expert rules then the program Xs and allows. Then the firewall rules and the settings behind the firewall rules where it gets exciting.
    So if the program rule blocks something, it's over. Firewall rules shouldn't play a role.
    If the program rule permits something, then it drops down to the firewall rules and if the firewall rules block, it's over. If they permit, then I suppose, things get permitted.

Tell you what, search this site for expert rules provided by Guru Oldsod. He's answered this question and also provided tons of examples. Hope this helps

I know I haven't answered your question, partly because the forum doesn't honour your tabs or spacing, partly because your table begins with Firewall rules (should begin with Program rules), partly because I still haven't quite come to grips with it myself

Should the sequence be Program expert, Program control, then Firewall Expert and I don't know what Firewall custom are really - the stuff in all those too many open links and windows?

dalouism Guest

Default Re: What is the order of priority for the settings?

Hi zaswing,

With the version of firewall that I have, the help file does not have the information to which you allude. I do not want to go into detail, but the IT group where I work gave me an old firewall, and then basically abandonned me. Hence the reason for my coming here for help.

The reason for my using the term 'FW Custom' is this. If I select 'Firewall' from the column on the left, then 'Main' from the tabs at the top, then, on that settings pages, there is a button, labelled Custom, that opens a dialogue box to do custom settings. The button is on the same page where there are two three-position sliders for selecting High, Medium or Low for the Internet and Trusted zones. I suppose I could have called it Zone settings.

The order of the columns in my table does affect the outcome of the decision taken by the firewall -- it does not matter if I put 'Prog Expert' (or any of the other rules) first, second, third or fourth.

After reading your response, I realise that my table is more complicated than I first thought -- I have forgotten that there are three choices for the Expert settings, i.e., 'Not configured', 'Allow' and 'Block'. So I can make one big table of 36 entries or four tables totalling 36 entries.

Let me try the four tables using the information that you have provided.

<pre>
    FW Expert = None, Prog Expert = None
    FW Custom | Prog Control || Action
    ----------------------------------
    Allow Allow Allow
    Allow Block Block
    Block Allow ?
    Block Block Block

FW Expert = None
    FW Custom | Prog Control | Prog Expert || Action
    -------------------------------------------------
    Allow Allow Allow Allow
    Allow Allow Block Block
    Allow Block Allow ?
    Allow Block Block Block
    Block Allow Allow ?
    Block Allow Block Block
    Block Block Allow ?
    Block Block Block Block

Prog Expert = None
    FW Custom | FW Expert | Prog Control || Action
    ----------------------------------------------
    Allow Allow Allow Allow
    Allow Allow Block Block
    Allow Block Allow ?
    Allow Block Block Block
    Block Allow Allow ?
    Block Allow Block Block
    Block Block Allow ?
    Block Block Block Block

FW Custom | FW Expert | Prog Control | Prog Expert || Action
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Allow Allow Allow Allow Allow
    Allow Allow Allow Block Block
    Allow Allow Block Allow ?
    Allow Allow Block Block Block
    Allow Block Allow Allow ?
    Allow Block Allow Block Block
    Allow Block Block Allow ?
    Allow Block Block Block Block
    Block Allow Allow Allow ?
    Block Allow Allow Block Block
    Block Allow Block Allow ?
    Block Allow Block Block Block
    Block Block Allow Allow ?
    Block Block Allow Block Block
    Block Block Block Allow ?
    Block Block Block Block Block
    </pre>
    I think that I have created a monster. Is that logic equation that you mentioned better looking than this? Is it simple enough to type here?

Thanks for the suggestion about looking at posts by Guru Oldsod. I shall give that a try.

_/ Louis

Thread Information