Thread: Programme Control

henshawj Guest

Default Programme Control

Hi Folks
    I have just installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020. I need to add a programme to the programmes list. When I try to add the programme it will not appear on the main list. I had no problem doing this with ZASS ver:7.
    The actual programme is named process.exe, from a company named Beyondlogic and which could be listed as malware. I use this small programme to control another programme named Wheeler and it has never caused any problems.
    Is there a solution?
    Thanks
    John

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Programme Control

Hi!if you run/execute it it should be added automatically. It may not appear as process.exe but with another name. In ZA program control scroll all programs slowly and look into the 'entry detail box' (bottom of the window), within the "file name" row.If you do not find it by scrolling every single program thenyour ZA settings are corrupted, try to reset them.1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after rebootDo not restore any previous ones, keep the suite at default.Note that with a valid license you can contact ZA technical support, link in my signature.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 07-11-2009 12:06 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

henshawj Guest

Hi fax
    Thanks for the reply.
    It was me! In Anti-virus/spyware "Scan Targets" I had not included the partion where the actual programme was installed (an Amateur Radio mail programme). When I included the partion all was "sweetness and light"!!
    Thanks
    John

HI!not sure I follow, but I am happy it works now. Scan target has nothing to do with program control, it is to include/exclude files/folders from the 'on-demand' scanning of the antivirus.- To exclude a file/folder from the 'on access' antivirus scanning you have to add it under the 'exceptions' section of the advanced options of the antivirus/antispyware tab (Virus Management)- To exclude a file from your ZA OS firewall, you have to select the program under ZA program control and select "no enforcement" under the 'trust level' column. Smartdefense column must be set to "custom".Cheers,Fax

henshawj Guest

Hi Fax
    I agree. I don't know why it worked. When I tried to add the process.exe file to the Programme List in Programme Control the file did not appear on the list.It should have appeared as "Command Line Process Utility" with its file name L:\Winpack\process.exe. It was not there! I tried a few times and then wrote to the Forum asking for help. While I was "hoping" for a reply I carried on trying to add the file. I happend to look at the scan targets and the L: disk had a red X against it. I included it in the scan targets and lo and behold I was able to add the file to the Programme List.
    This did not happen with ver: 7
    Perhaps it was the fairies!
    Or maybe a "Bug"?
    Thanks
    Best Wishes
    John

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>henshawj wrote:
    Or maybe a "Bug"?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Did you reboot the PC or rebbot ZA?Scan targets has no effects on ZA program control.Anyway, it is resolved...Cheers,Fax

henshawj Guest

Hi Fax
    Yes, went through hot boot and cold boot, it did not help. Now it is working I have taken the L: partion out of the scan targets list and the process.exe file works OK.
    One of life's little mysteries!
    Best Wishes
    John

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>henshawj wrote:
    One of life's little mysteries!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Indeed! Cheers,Fax

gsweitzer Guest

Unhappy Re: Programme Control

I am having the same problem with process.exe in ZA Extreme Security. This time, however, changing scan targets has no effect. Have they cranked up Extreme Security to the point that it refuses to run legitimate programs?

Quote Originally Posted by gsweitzer View Post
    I am having the same problem with process.exe in ZA Extreme Security. This time, however, changing scan targets has no effect. Have they cranked up Extreme Security to the point that it refuses to run legitimate programs?
    Please open a new thread specifiying the version (right click the ZA icon near the clock --> About --> Copy to clipboard --> Paste it in the new thread).

Also specify your OS, explain when the problem appeared (just at first install or are you using it since sometime)?

What other security tools are you using? (many conflicts with ZA)
    You have had any malware problems recently?

Cheers,
    Fax
    P.S. please do not cue up on existing thread open a new one. With a VALID license you can contact directly the ZA technical support at the link in my signature

Thread Information