Thread: Disabling zone alarm download manager

Hybrid View

cherryz Guest

Default Disabling zone alarm download manager

I'm currently using zone alarm extreme security and noticed that it uses its own download manager as opposed to the firefox one when i download things with my browser.
    Is there any way around this? i've had a look at the settings and tried disabling the zone alarm firefox plugin(which still works..) but it still doesn't work.
    Main reason is for some reason downloads are unsavabe/undownloadable with firefox while with ie it works, but most importantly i prefer firefox to manage my downloads, as opposed to zone alarm.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Charles_B Guest

Default Re: Disabling zone alarm download manager

When ForceField in Firefox Add-ons is enable it defaults to " Always ask where to save files " under Options / Main / Download.There is a reason for this.

Anything you choose to download can be saved to your computer. You will be warned if ForceField detects known spyware in a program you download, or if it finds the executable is unsigned.

If you choose to download an executable file harboring known spyware, the antispyware scanner detects it by scanning it against the latest spyware signature database.

The files that ForceField blocks are the drive-by ones that you did not initiate.

If you are using automatic download tools, you can set them to download to your "ForceField Shared Files" folder located in "My Documents" and is the only place you are allowed to save files by third party software. I was made aware by Guru fax on this one.This is where " Always ask where to save files " comes into play also.

ZoneAlarm ForceField User Guide at this link:

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/me...dUserGuide.pdf

Hope this helps.

Have a nice Day

cherryz Guest

No, no no.
    I understand how it works, i just want it OFF!
    I've looked through the settings, disabled the firefox add-on but it still pop-ups.
    I'd really prefer to use firefox's download manager instead the **bleep** zone alarm download manager popping up.

Hi!for security reason downloads are checked by ForceField, its a security feature.If you don't want it then you will need either to turn OFF forcefield or open a unprotected web page to download the file.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

cherryz Guest

This did it, thanks!
    Looks like i didn't notice it under Firefox extensions, and only disabled the plugin(which didn't fix my problem)

You're welcome!Glad you sorted it out...Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information