Thread: Internet Zone/Truusted Zone query

colmac Guest

Default Internet Zone/Truusted Zone query

Can someone help a newb here please.
    I'm an experienced PC user (I've built and installed in excess of 30 PCs) but I do not get networks. I have a basic knowledge , but no understanding of it. I use ZA free and I loove it!. But I've always been puzzled by one bit.

If I enter Firewall Main, I get two options for Internet Zone & Trusted Zone. I thought I understood the basics of this, but .....
    Under Internet Zone Security, If I choose High, it says Lets you connect to a Network, but prevents anyone on the network from connecting to you. No Does this refere to a network in the bag bad internet zone, or does it apply to my tiny little Home network (total 3 pcs).
    If I select Medium, it says "Use for the Trusted Zone, lets you share printers and
    ....". Now that really confuses me. What do settings under "Internet Zone" have to do with the Trusted Zone?
    Similarly, if I go to Trusted Zone and select High, this says use for Internet Zone. EH!!!!!!!! I assumed that the two ZSones were completely separate. My home Network is in the Trusted Zone, the big bad internet is in the Internet zone!
    What I want is to let other users of my home network (only ever myself or my wife) to access printers & resources on my pc, and have max ()sensible) security when on the inrternet. What should I choose as my settings??
    Thanks

Colin
    PS I did search FAQ's first but found nothing suitable

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Internet Zone/Truusted Zone query

Hi!Internet Security Zone --> Facing Internet. i.e. it refers to internetInternet Security Zone to MEDIUM--> You open your PC to theInternet, i.e. if you have services to share (e.g. printer) these will be available to the Internet.Trusted Security Zone --> E.g. Your LANMedium --> Open the access of your resources to your LAN or IP or elements set as trusted.HIGH --> Everything is treatedas Internet i.e. no access even IP set as trusted in the firewall zone tab.Your case:ZA firewall --> Main TabTrusted Zone Always to MEDIUM (this is your case and 99% of all other cases) Internet Zone Always to HIGHZA firewall --> ZonesDNS and DHCP always to TRUSTEDYour LAN set to TRUSTED (the network under the firewall trusted zone, usually 192.168.X.X) --> This will allow anybody in your LAN to see share resourcesorEach IP of the three PC set to TRUSTED in the ZA firewall zones.The above must be replicated for all 3 PC.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

colmac Guest

Hi Fax

Wow that's fast!
    Thanks
    That's also a much better explanation than I got from the software help files.
    Basically I had everything correct except I had my Internet set to Medium. I hve now cahnegd
    it to High on all PC's. Thanks a bunch
    Colin

colmac Guest

Hi Fax
    Sorry to br a pain, but I just spotted another query.
    You stated
    "The above must be replicated for all 3 PC"
    I can't check both laptops at the moment, but one has no entries for DNS & DHCP. Should they be added on the secondary machines. They have bothe wireless and wired connections available (if that is relevant).

Colin

You're welcome!Cheers,Fax

Hi!to ensure a smooth operation -->YesSee here below how to determine the machines DNS/DHCPhttp://zonealarm.donhoover.net/dnsdhcp.htmlCheers,Fax

colmac Guest

Hi Fax
    Once again, Thnaks for such prompt (and helpful) replies.
    Its really very much appreciated. As I said, networks confuse me!
    Colin

You're welcome!Glad to hear I was of help Cheers,Fax

Thread Information