Thread: ZAISS and Windows VPN

hedera Guest

Default ZAISS and Windows VPN

I support a small non-profit which uses a Win XP Pro computer, behind a LinkSys (soon to be D-Link) router, as a VPN server, to allow 2-3 of the officers to connect remotely and update a database. Because we just have a PPoE connection, we don't have a static IP, so we use DynDNS to give us a static hostname, liferingservice.dyndns.org. Our instructions for VPN client setup include telling your firewall that our static hostname is a trusted server.

I'm currently trying to troubleshoot VPN problems from a Vista Home Premium laptop running ZAISS 8.0.298.035; and ZA just blocked me because, apparently, the external IP changed (that's why we use DynDNS, DUH). I have configured my Internet firewall to allow outbound TCP connections to port 1732 - why do I have to add the target IP to the trusted zone ALSO? It's true that I'm the only one using a ZA firewall; but it's a pain to me to have to check the IP all the time. Any suggestions?

Frankly, I would never recommend ZA to anyone without VERY advanced technical skills! God help the innocent newbie trying to cope with this.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

prof_fate Guest

Default Re: ZAISS and Windows VPN

hedera Guest

Well, thanks for the effort, but I was hoping for something more helpful. The thread you referred me to basically said, talk to ZA tech support, and, was the VPN installed after ZA was (yes, it was). OK, I'll open a ticket.

prof_fate Guest

<blockquote><hr>hedera wrote:
    Well, thanks for the effort, but I was hoping for something more helpful. The thread you referred me to basically said, talk to ZA tech support, and, was the VPN installed after ZA was (yes, it was). OK, I'll open a ticket.
    <hr></blockquote>Here is a New Link for Faster Live Text Chat with Tech Support,,
    Live text Chat mode : http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm
    Let us know what you find out..

Hi!I would first update to the latest version and then contact support.Latest version resolve an issue with VPNCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

hedera Guest

Interesting, fax, I thought I had the latest version. It hasn't pinged me for an update recently. I'll check into that.

hedera Guest

FYI on the latest version. Yes, there is a later version than I'm running; but my ZAISS is set on &quot;automatic update,&quot; and not only did it not tell me there was an update, when I explicitly asked it to check, it said there was no update available! I hope the new version corrects that one! I see it has support for Vista SP2 which is good because I now have Vista SP2.

Yes, it is not served via automatic update.If you have difficulties in removing your current version, use the ZA removal tool:http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exeor here below for a complete process of cleaning of your system:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=20875Don't rush, do it slowly... cheers,Fax

hedera Guest

I've now managed to upgrade to the new version (with help from the live chat tech support folks), and my VPN problem has vanished. Looks like I no longer have to put in the external IP, just the hostname. Thanks for the suggestions. (This glosses over an amazing week spent rebuilding the entire network at the other end of the VPN, but that isn't a ZA problem...)

Default Re: ZAISS and Windows VPN --> RESOLVED

Hi!Glad to hear the issue is now resolved! Thank you for taking the time to report back.Cheers,Fax

Thread Information