Thread: Vista 64 and Flash Drive: Scan and Fix

petergoode Guest

Default Vista 64 and Flash Drive: Scan and Fix

I have noted when I insert various flash drives into my new HP Pavilion notebook (Vista 64 Home Premium, ZASS latest stable version, 8 point something), I consistently first note an error message identifying problems with the drives with offer to scan and fix.
    If I ignore the message, everything works fine.
    I do not see this error message when I use the drives in XP Pro systems.
    I noted on another forum that others had noted this, and it was blamed on their anti-virus software, not Vista.
    As such, if this is the case, is there any setting I can tweak to eliminate the error message?
    I certainly can "live with" this minor annoyance, but would be just as happy to see it resolved.
    Thanks much in advance for any suggestions.
    Peter

Operating System:Windows Vista 64 bit
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Vista 64 and Flash Drive: Scan and Fix

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>petergoode wrote:
    I have noted when I insert various flash drives into my new HP Pavilion notebook (Vista 64 Home Premium, ZASS latest stable version, 8 point something), I consistently first note an error message identifying problems with the drives with offer to scan and fix. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Exact error? Since its normal that whatever is the status of the flash driver it will always display that message when plugged in.This is a VISTA feature, simply choose not to scan or keep the flash drive connected.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 07-27-2009 06:20 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

petergoode Guest

Thanks for noting my post and replying.
    The message on Vista does not
    indicate anything specific, just that it detected errors which it will scan and fix.
    I did not want to even try, just in case it &quot;did something&quot; I did not wish done to my drive which as noted functions normally.
    The other person who had this issue (not sure which AV program they were using) DID go thru the scan and fix procedure, but the same message came back anyway each time they inserted the drive.
    I asked live support, and they suggested what I of course should have thought of first...I will disable ZA at startup...if the message is still there, ZA will be off the hook...I will post followup in case anyone else runs into this curiousity.
    Peter

Hi!well.. if ZA was off and you get the message then its not ZA.But again that message is normal and happens often... you have two options, one is scanning the other to ignore. Correct?Cheers,Fax

petergoode Guest

My initial lead was to attribute it to a ZA setting based upon what was posted in the non-ZA forum about the issue being due to AV settings...I have not yet tried to reproduce this with ZA off, gotta finish a day at work first!
    Yes, just two choices, scan/fix or ignore.
    And the other person's experience, as I noted, was that even options for &quot;scan/fix&quot; did not resolve the error message.
    So far, ignore has gotten my vote each time.
    Kinda odd.
    Peter

Well... I see the same but it has nothing to do with the antivirus... You don't see it in XP because its only in VISTA.Don't worry.Cheers,Fax

Thread Information