Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZA not catching all Ad/Spy Cookies

fishcatcher Guest

Default ZA not catching all Ad/Spy Cookies

I've been running ZA for a little while now and have noticed that it doesn't catch all ad/spy cookies on my laptop. I had a free version of Ad-aware on my laptop and lately I've been running a scan daily to see what's there and it catch many cookies and key loggers that ZA didn't get. Is there a way to increase ZA'a ability to catch everything it's supposed to? I'm thinking maybe there is a setting for this?
    Thanks in advance.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: ZA not catching all Ad/Spy Cookies

It's all in the Privacy Protection tab, you can make many different adjustments for all sorts of items; but be cautious - there are some programs/apps that you need or want that may be affected by some higher levels of restricitons - some sites actually need those third party cookies before the pages load up properly - I have seen this happen often here in the forum.<hr>Need a little bit of tweaking in your Privacy section - use your ZA User Guide - right click ZA tray icon &gt; click &quot;Help&quot; = this
    is your User Guide -see chapters on &quot;Privacy protection&quot; and &quot; &quot;Troubleshooting &gt; Third-party software&quot;
    - read thru - make adjustments.
    This User Guide has all the common settings and customizations, plus explanations.
    <hr>Also check your pc for this - http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...message.id=145 .<hr>From Guru Hoov's website - http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/privacy.html#Top
    .<hr><div align="center">Privacy Settings

Here is the front page of the privacy settings

You can change some of the privacy settings just by clicking on one of the x's or one of the checkmark
    Then selecting either allow or block.

Or you can right click on the site, and select options. Or click on the site and click the options button in the lower right corner.

and then you get

And on this page you can change the options to have to do with Cookies.
    Then if you click on the Ad Blocking tab you get this page

Where you can make adjustments to the add blocking capabilities.
    Now click on the Mobile Code Control and you get

Where you can change what kinds of scripts you want to block.
    And by adjusting the settings in this fashion, you are customizing the settings on a per site basis.

But by far the best way of figuring out what you need to customize on what site is to turn the privacy advisor on.
    You do this in the cookie control settings page
    And to get there you go to the privacy section in ZoneAlarm and click the custom button in the cookie section

Its at the bottom of the page.
    Once you check that and surf to a site you get this kind of popup

And what you need to do is remember what it is telling you is being blocked,
    then you click where it says to and it will take you to the site that needs customizing, as well as highlighting it.

Go ahead and make whatever changes you want. Then this Icon will appear in the Edited column.

This happens no matter how you customize the settings on the site.

Something else you need to know about the Site list is that there are a few ways to reset it.
    1. Reboot windows
    2. Turn ZoneAlarm off and then back on
    3. Turn the privacy settings off and then back on
    4. Crash your system (not suggested)
    Also on occasion the list will be reset totally after a crash, or other event that causes the settings database to be reset.
    If you decide that one of the sites on the list needs to go away, right click on it and select remove

<hr>In addition to Lavasoft Ad-Aware you can safely use SuperAntispyware - the free version -www.superantipsyware.com - non-obtrusive, works well with ZA and catches some tracking cookies. In ZA you can use Cache Cleaner and remove all unknown and unwanted cookies; also cookie control in your browser. It would be very nice to be
    'ad free' but many sites won't load properly until the ads/cookies load too, unfortunately.<hr>:0NaiveMelody NYC 4:58pm e.s.t. - Freedom Of Choice - Devo

fishcatcher Guest

Thank you for that terrific response. So what I gather from that is it is not possible and may not be desirable to stop all tracking cookies or key loggers from being installed on my computer. That it is best to do this on a site by site basis. I also understand that I need a third party piece of software to periodically eliminate all tracking cookies and key loggers from my system and that ZA is not equiped to do that for me.
    Do I have the correct understanding? I was hoping that
    I wouldn't need any other software to protect my system from ad/spy ware but maybe that's not realistic?
    Again thank you very much for your very detailed response. It is very helpful.

naivemelody Guest

Depending on your surfing habits - where and how you surf - what apps you like to you use often - keep the security level as high as you can, the often visited sites = you can add exceptions - white list them, the cookies, etc. Use the Privacy Advisor. Read thru User Guide - Privacy Protection.<hr>As far a keyloggers are concerned, ZA Suite does a fairly good job at preventing and stopping keyloggers from doing their bad business. The OS /triple defense firewall of ZA will stop all/ or most keyloggers - from functioning or sending out info.; plus the real time protection elements in ZA (spy-site blocking, ZA anti-spyware, Kaspersky av. ,etc.) in concert will add more layers of defense. Test review - http://www.pcmag.com/print_article2/...=199559,00.asp .<hr>It would be nice if only one suite can &quot;do it all&quot; - not very realistic; it is generally accepted concept by many pc experts of
    'layers of security software' to provide the best protection for the average user. As suggested the Ad-Aware and Superantispyware - the 'free versions' will catch the tracking cookies that ZA will generally bypass or the user may not want to bother finding and deleting. It makes better sense for ZA to concentrate on the big stuff/malware and let you decide what you want to do with cookies.<hr>Here is two very nice sites to take a look at for more info. - http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_...tm#trustworthy
    .<hr>and this - www.firewallguide.com . All in all, ZA Suite is a solid security software.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 6-29-07 - That's Good - Devo

Hi!I think there is a basic misunderstanding about cookies... they are just harmless text file, they are not keyloggers... Security tools plays around cookies to provide software to clean 'evil' cookies... however you can block cookies simply using your browser but be aware that many web site may not work properly without cookies.".....Since their introduction on the Internet, misconceptions about cookies have circulated on the Internet and in the media.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-2>[5]</SUP><SUP class=reference id=_ref-3>[6]</SUP> In 2005, Jupiter Research published the results of a survey,<SUP class=reference id=_ref-4>[7]</SUP> according to which a consistent percentage of respondents believed some of the following claims:<UL><LI>Myth: Cookies are like worms and viruses in that they can erase data from the user's hard disks; <LI>Myth: Cookies are a form of spyware in that they can read personal information stored on the user's computer; <LI>Myth: Cookies generate popups; <LI>Myth: Cookies are used for spamming; <LI>Myth: Cookies are only used for advertising. </LI>[/list]

Cookies are in fact only data, not program code: they cannot erase or read information from the user's computer..."

For more info see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie

Cheers, Fax

P.S. ZASS will protect form keyloggers both via AV/AS signature and proactive defence (ZA OSfirewall)

Message Edited by fax on 06-29-2007 01:50 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

fishcatcher Guest

Thanks guys I'm getting a good education here. You're right, I see cookies as evil as most of the population I guess and I'm probably wrong about that. I guess if I think about it, it's not so bad if ZA lets some cookies onto my machine as long as it blocks private information from leaving my machine such as viewing habits, informaiton that could be used to for identity theft, or other private information until I can run free software to get rid of the tracking cookies and key loggers that ZA let in. Is that more the way ZA works?
    You guys are great. and so is ZA. It comes highly recommended from friends. I tried several of the suites out there and definitly think this one is the best.
    Take care, and thanks for taking the time to educate me.
    JC

Hi!just one question... which keyloggers did ZA let in?It should not... antivirus should catch them and ZA OSfirewall warn you...If you had a keylogger that installed undected its important you inform ZA and send the malicious file in a password protected zip archive to malware@zonelabs.com(include password in the e-mail)Cheers,Fax

fishcatcher Guest

In my latest scan with ad-aware, 3 tracking cookies were found.index.dat hitbox.com wssindex.dat hitbox.com ctgindex.dat ehg-accuweather
    There were also several MRU objects found. MRU path and registry
    unfortunitly in ad-aware, I can't see the whole path
    I'll send this information to the link you posted as well.

Hi!Sorry but this are notkeyloggers... just cookies, index.dat and MRU.MRU (Most Recently Used) is part of your OS. Your OS store recently used items (files/folder/documents/etc..) to be accessed faster and easier.You can download the Free ccleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloadpage.aspx?f=3) that will get rid of temp files, index.dat, some MTU and whatever cookies you want...Keyloggers are software/hardware (commercial ormalware) that will record your keystroke/screenshotand send them to a destination (hacker, other user, government, etc...).Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 06-29-2007 08:11 AM

fishcatcher Guest

Thanks Fax! That is a great help. So Ad-ware is catching things that don't matter. Good to know. Thanks again. Take care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information