Thread: ZoneAlarm: Stop deleting my UltraVNC viewer app

jlmoore Guest

Default ZoneAlarm: Stop deleting my UltraVNC viewer app

It took me way too long to figure out the culprit responsible for some reason ZoneAlarm doesn't show us what files have been quarantined by the spyware remover. All I saw was an entry for "Win32.Trojan.Dropper...etc" in the log and never connected that with UltraVNC.

"It is recommended that you delete this application immediately because it constitutes security and privacy risks and has no known usefulness"

Get a clue...VNC is a real application that is installed for good reason on people's PCs. You are doing them a disservice by silently deleting files essential to this application. Not only that, why would your delete the client rather than the server? The client is only useful to the person sitting in front of the computer.

Anyway, as a result, I'm disabling the spyware scanner.

Default Re: ZoneAlarm: Stop deleting my UltraVNC viewer app

Hi!ZA staff does not monitor this board, please report directly to ZA this false positive, so it can be fixed...http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...are_report.jspInclude a download link so they can test it and fix it quicker...You can add UltraVCN to the exclusion list by selecting "ignorealways" when you get the detection pop-up windows.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 09-18-2007 07:35 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

axlefc Guest

Are you sure it is the ZoneAlarm spyware scanner and not the Kaspersky engine that is detecting VNC as riskware? If I remember correctly, KAV also detects VNC.....You may want to check that, as if its a case with the KAV engine, taking it up directly with Kaspersky will be a faster and better option.

forum_moderator Guest

Yes it is Kaspersky that detects it. While it is a valid program there are accounts of it being used by hackers to take control of your PC. That is why its detected. Thats never going to change due to the nature of the software and becasue this program does not put any safeguards into it so hacker cant take adavange of it on a system its installed on.

While its anoying all you need to do as has been suggested many times in the forum is mark it as Always Ignore.

Forum Moderator

jlmoore Guest

Does ZA use Kaspersky internally or something? Because I don't have Kaspersky installed.

UltraVNC certainly does have safeguards to prevent hackers from using it. It can be password protected (either a simple password or Windows accounts) and it can employ encryption.

Additionally, ZA deletes the viewer app but not the server which makes no sense if you want to protect the customer's computer. Not that I'm suggesting they do that!

Anyway, I'll submit it via the link above but I'm sure this has been reported to them plenty of times.

Thread Information