Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable Tracking Cookies?

morey Guest

Default Acceptable Tracking Cookies?

I'd like to know if I should just accept the following Tracking Cookies which Zone Alarm Security Suite appears to be unable to remove with its shield.
    My daily spyware scan does catch them and remove them.
    Here are my Settings within Zone Alarm:

and.......

These are the Tracking Cookies detected in my system at the end of the day by ZASS:

Can these Tracking cookies do any serious harm?
    Should I install a separate program like SpySweeper to shield my system from them?
    If I tighten up my ZASS settings anymore, I cannot access my usual Internet sites which I traverse every day.
    I am using ZASS Version 7.0.337.000.
    Will the imminent upgrade to come out in the near future address this problem?
    Should I go to the following site and install "Opt Out" Cookies: http://www.worldprivacyforum.org/cookieoptout.html

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by morey on 10-03-2007 01:31 PM

findley Guest

Default Re: Acceptable Tracking Cookies?

morey,
    My bias is no tracking cookies on my computer.
    If it were my computer I'd delete them and change
    settings to block 3rd party cookies.
    Just my opinion.
    For example the atdmt cookie: take a read of what this cookie is about at this link:http://www.removeadware.com.au/articles/atdmt/
    Your decisionDoes this help?Findley

tvazntpfh Guest

I use SpywareBlaster and have my IE settings set to block 3rd party cookies. I rarely get any tracking cookies and rarely have problems with loading sites in either IE or Firefox. In Firefox, I also use Adblock Plus and Filterset.G.

Those ones are pretty much standard undesirables.I would not block 100% of cookies as some sites like eBAY and Paypal use cookies to track the user's session.

morey Guest

I increased Security one more step in ZASS by blocking Persistent Cookies.
    I still get some adware.
    Thus, it seems that I will just have to do a ZASS Spyware Scan EVERY TIME after I finish accessing internet sites.
    One alternative is to possibly buy SpySweeper and inactivate my ZASS spy prevention module.
    If sites give me a problem, I will have to relax my security and then increase it again when I am done accessing internet sites. for the day.

morey Guest

I am blocking 3rd party cookies and even increased to blocking all persistent cookies.
    I am only leaving session cookies open since almost all sites require those cookies.
    I still get some adware after going out to the internet even when I access this Forum.

morey Guest

Being unsatisfied with not being able to remove all this adware and spyware, I happened to read in PC World that Spyware Doctor 5.1 was rated best anti-spyware program around at the moment.
    Thus, I purchased it, inactivated spyware and cookie control in Zone Alarm and got the following result:

None of this was detected by Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.0.337.
    Thus, I will still rely on ZASS for firewall and antivirus control but use Spyware Doctor for adware and spyware.
    Sometimes it pays to worry and then get a problem fixed.
    I never realized all these threats and infections were in my system.
    I tried to access all my favorite sites and none were blocked.
    That was the only risk the program indicated could result from using it.
    Since this is a user supported site and not a company site I hope no one will be annoyed about this outcome.

Message Edited by morey on 10-03-2007 07:02 PM

I use Spybot S&D and AVG Anti-Spyware to clean out cookies, between them - they clean up cookies ZA missed.

I use the ZA AS and it has no Privacy features.

Instead I just block third party cookies in the browser (and allow third party as per site inside the browser itself).
    I use freeware WebWasher Classic and Privoxy.Using AGNIS or spam assassin or squid guard list splus my own stop almost anything (including phishs, troyan/malware, cws, js, browser string, etc, ads by frane dimension/site,etc) not just simple cookies.

Opera has the urlfilter, firefox has allow cookies and block other (plus it's hostperm.1 file can be edited to block images and cookies) and even the IE can customized to sites and set to block all third party cookies.

But to install specialized spyware scanners just to stop cookies is somewhat extreme. It just seems like overkill.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

morey Guest

Can I keep ZASS anti-spyware active at the same time as I have Spyware Doctor active or should I keep the ZASS module disabled?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information