Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezing on spyware scan

dudabrad Guest

Default Freezing on spyware scan

I've been fighting with my ZASS 7.0 since I installed it 4 weeks ago! Very frustrating. Although reading this forum has helped immensely and I'm slowly making progress, working out bugs, etc. Thanks.

Every time ZA does a virus/spyware scan it crashes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice, and I downloaded and ran ccleaner (then reinstalled ZASS again).

It did make it through a complete scan in Safe Mode.

Then, on a hunch (back in normal mode), I ran ONLY a virus scan ... worked fine.

Then, I ran ONLY a spyware scan ... freeze about 1 minute in. Both times it froze yesterday at the screen was reading "F-ed Up 2.0". I assume from watching the spyware screen that it is scanning for the known spywares that appear on the screen (not that I actually HAVE all those spywares) ... am I right? I don't know if the fact that it froze both times when it got to F-ed Up is significant or not.

So ... my problem seems to be specifically the spyware scan. So my question is (naturally) ... what next???

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

prof_fate Guest

Default Re: Freezing on spyware scan

<blockquote><hr>dudabrad wrote:
    I've been fighting with my ZASS 7.0 since I installed it 4 weeks ago! Very frustrating. Although reading this forum has helped immensely and I'm slowly making progress, working out bugs, etc. Thanks.

Every time ZA does a virus/spyware scan it crashes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice, and I downloaded and ran ccleaner (then reinstalled ZASS again).

It did make it through a complete scan in Safe Mode.

Then, on a hunch (back in normal mode), I ran ONLY a virus scan ... worked fine.

Then, I ran ONLY a spyware scan ... freeze about 1 minute in. Both times it froze yesterday at the screen was reading &quot;F-ed Up 2.0&quot;. I assume from watching the spyware screen that it is scanning for the known spywares that appear on the screen (not that I actually HAVE all those spywares) ... am I right? I don't know if the fact that it froze both times when it got to F-ed Up is significant or not.

So ... my problem seems to be specifically the spyware scan. So my question is (naturally) ... what next???

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

Here is a Forum Link by Guru Fax that may help you..

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=21598

dudabrad Guest

Yeah, I've already run the scans in Safe Mode, and everything seems to work fine. It's only in normal mode that I have the problem.

I'm not intentionally running any additional security software, although I have to admit I know zip about the security software built into Windows XP. Do I shut down all Windows-included security measures? What all do I look for?

Also, my internet provider does bundle some security features with their service ... firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware. I believe the firewall is a &quot;service&quot;, not &quot;software&quot; - so someone told me that having that firewall service running shouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure how their virus and spy-ware stuff works. I'll have to investigate that too.

Any other ideas?

Hi!try to start your system selectively.... only ZA and windows OS then slowly put back things on the list up to when you find the culprit of your failed AS scan.This way:1.) Click Start -&gt; Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer... AS scan...How does it work?
    NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.
    Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 08-22-2007 01:30 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

dudabrad Guest

I've been away from home ... so I'm just getting back to this now.

I tried the msconfig thing - spyware scan crashes same as always, even with everything disabled.

You may want to try to update to the latest version of ZASS (7.0.408.000) and see if this will resolve your issue.I would recommend a clean install...http://www.ZoneAlarm.com/zasuitedownloadBut the fact that in SAFE MODE you get no errors points to something running in normal mode that conflicts with ZASS.Cheers,Fax

machelle Guest

Default STILL Freezing on spyware scan

I have the latest version, I d/l it today, and I'm having EXACTLY the same problem as the original poster.I have even tried your MSCONFIG steps and the spyware scan *still* crashes at exactly the same spot (at 8%).
    any ideas??

Default Re: STILL Freezing on spyware scan

Hi!nope, no idea... you may want to try to completely remove and reinstall following closely the instruction below:Clean remove:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.htmlReinstall:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...structZAP.htmlCheers,Fax

prof_fate Guest

<blockquote><hr>Machelle wrote:
    I have the latest version, I d/l it today, and I'm having EXACTLY the same problem as the original poster.I have even tried your MSCONFIG steps and the spyware scan *still* crashes at exactly the same spot (at 8%).
    any ideas??
    <hr></blockquote>Here is a Very Important part of Guru Fax's previous Response..
    "But the fact that in SAFE MODE you get no errors points to something running in normal mode that conflicts with ZASS"
    are you running any other type of Security programs other than Zone Alarm Security Suite?????????

machelle Guest

I have:
    1) uninstalled ZASS ;2) uninstalled any potentially conflicting software;3) perfomed a &quot;clean re-install&quot;.
    The Anti Spyware scan STILL freezes at 8% when it gets to MyStartup
    I therefore then:
    4) Followed the MSCONFIG steps to the letter;5) Booted into Safe mode;6) Attempted to launch ZASS in safe mode to no avail.
    WHAT NOW!? (This is really beyond aggravation)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information