Thread: Anti-virus CPU excessive

junkmail Guest

Default Anti-virus CPU excessive

I'm running ZISS on Win XP Pro. When the anti-virus/spy ware scans start, they typically take over 90% of the CPU, which brings everything to a crawl. The obvious problem is that scanning is very CPU intensive, and there is no limiting in the scan process. I also run a virtual machine all day, and it also has ZISS running. Same thing, except both the VM and the PC are brought to a crawl. However, if it set the VM process priority to below normal, the PC functions normally, while the scan running in the VM still consume substantial CPU.
    Therefore, I suggest that the scan processes be launched with below normal priority. When nothing else is going on, they will continue to run at over 90% CPU. However, they will stop bringing everything else to a crawl. I can't imagine this is a very difficult change...

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Anti-virus CPU excessive

Set scheduled scans to run off-hours.

gmontjr Guest

I too have been having problems re this issue. I've unloaded all the system tray stuff possible and response is still terrible. Click on a window to grab focus and you might get it 10 seconds later.
    I've been running ZoneAlarm for years now, so I do not have a virus.

gmontjr Guest

It's not scanning.

Thread Information