Thread: AntiVirus/Spyware Definitions will not Update

nycmarcus Guest

Default AntiVirus/Spyware Definitions will not Update

Operating System: Windows Vista BusinessZone Alarm Version: 7.1.078.000 Security SuiteError Message: Status Area is Red, says "Action Required", when I hit "update Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware" update is unsucessful.
    I tried the following, but it did not work.
    1. START>RUN>type in SYSTEM32 hit OK.2. Locate the Zonelabs folder.
    In that folder click on Updates.3. delete all of files in the Updates folder especially the LocalCatalog.xml file.
    Any help would be appreciated.Thanks,

Operating System:Windows Vista Business
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: AntiVirus/Spyware Definitions will not Update

I am running Vista Ultimate on new Dell desktop with ZA Security Suite v 7.1.078.000.
    I have been having a problem (for about 3 weeks) that sounds to me as though it is connected/related to the problem you describe.
    When ZA enters update mode - either automatic or manually driven - the updating process sometimes seems to get "stuck". The arrow on the icon in the system tray remains in place and shows the message "update is running".
    Through trial and error/watching I believe that this occurs sometimes (but not always) when the update includes an anti-spyware update. It does not seem to happen when there is an anti-virus update only. Anti-virus updates seem more frequent than anti-spyware updates.
    If I:
    1. START>RUN>type in SYSTEM32 hit OK.2. Locate the Zonelabs folder.
    In that folder click on Updates.3. delete all of files in the Updates folder especially the LocalCatalog.xml file.
    and then reboot this seems to resolve the problem UNTIL IT OCCURS AGAIN.
    Actually I only delete the LocalCatalog.xml file as the only other contents of the Zonelabs\Updates folder is an empty folder called anti_spyware.
    I have seen this problem appear under a number of guises in the ZA forum - at least it seems to me that they may all have the same underlying cause. This cause seems to me to perhaps being due to a file corruption occurring on download when an anti-spyware update happens.
    It becomes very annoying. Hopefully ZA could arrange a proper fix - PLEASE.

Thread Information