Thread: Slow Scanning?

zimmelman Guest

Default Slow Scanning?

I'm a software developer, and during the course of the day I compile applications several times for testing.
    I've been noticing that the compile times have been getting slower and slower.
    It thought it might be the compiler settings, but it turns out that it's ZA AV.
    I turned off the AV and my compile times decreased by about 25%.
    While that may not seem too significant, it does equate to a lot of lost time throughout the day.
    Anyone have any suggestions (other than turning off AV while I'm working)?
    I was looking for a way to enter file mask exceptions so the AV wouldn't scan either the source or compiled units, but there doesn't seem to be anything available for that.

I'm using ZA version 7.0.408.000.
    Not other security software is running.

Lenovo T61, 2 gigs ram, 2.2 dual core CPU, 100 gig HD, XP Pro.
    TIA,-Steve-

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Slow Scanning?

I found that changing Program Control > SmartDefense Advisor from Auto to Manual speeded up everything significantly for me.

zimmelman Guest

Thanks.
    I tried your suggestion,
    but
    it didn't make any
    difference.
    Unfortunately, turning off the AV seems to be the only solution.
    -Steve-

prof_fate Guest

<blockquote><hr>Zimmelman wrote:
    I'm a software developer, and during the course of the day I compile applications several times for testing.
    I've been noticing that the compile times have been getting slower and slower.
    It thought it might be the compiler settings, but it turns out that it's ZA AV.
    I turned off the AV and my compile times decreased by about 25%.
    While that may not seem too significant, it does equate to a lot of lost time throughout the day.
    Anyone have any suggestions (other than turning off AV while I'm working)?
    I was looking for a way to enter file mask exceptions so the AV wouldn't scan either the source or compiled units, but there doesn't seem to be anything available for that.

I'm using ZA version 7.0.408.000.
    Not other security software is running.

Lenovo T61, 2 gigs ram, 2.2 dual core CPU, 100 gig HD, XP Pro.
    TIA,-Steve-

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Antivirus

<hr></blockquote>Please Try the New ZA anti-Virus Upgrade.. 7.0.462.000

ZoneAlarm
    Antivirus Release History

The latest ZoneAlarm Antivirus release is 7.0.462.000.

Release History:<ul>[*]7.0 Branch

7.0.462.000 was released to the public on November 20, 2007. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.

ZoneAlarm Antivirus version 7.0.462.000[*]Performance improvements:<ul>[*]Improved system boot time[*]Fixed problems with AV on dual-core and hyper-threaded machines.[/list][*]Stability improvements in anti-virus:<ul>[*]Fixed occasional hangs in advanced dialog window[*]Fixed occasional hangs during scan[*]Fixed occasional hangs in after repair of archive (or similar) on CD.[/list][*]Additional Stability improvements:<ul>[*]Fixed occasional crashes in vsmon[*]Fixed occasional hangs during shutdown[*]Fixed occasional hangs in UpdClient.[*]Fixed various install and upgrade issues[*]Fixed window activation issue associated with automatic updates[*]Compatibility: Fixed compatibility issue with Intuit Software[/list][*]Anti-virus improvements:<ul>[*]Fixed anti-virus signature versions not showing,[*]Don't reschedule AV updates after initial update completes[/list][*]Ease-of-use improvements:<ul>[*]New: Added Automatic Network Configuration to Wizard (will automatically add Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, Network Printers and, mapped network drives to trusted zone)[*]Changed update frequency default to every 3 hours[/list][*]Customization improvements:<ul>[*]Made AV update frequency configurable[*]Added Global Reset-to-Default feature (invoked via Ctrl+Shift+right click on ZA icon in system tray).[*]Various other fixes and improvements[/list][/list]

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

Thread Information