Thread: Monitor.exe

stevoid Guest

Default Monitor.exe

Monitor.exe uses ridiculous amounts of CPU power while downloading via bittorrent. This is a legal bittorrent (BBC iPlayer) and having watched it in Taskmonitor several times in the last few days, monitor.exe uses between 9% and 44% of CPU power (Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+, 2 gigs of RAM, XP Pro) while I'm downloading anything. How can I stop monitor.exe from doing this, other than close all antivirus/spyware/firewall features while I'm downloading?

I've tried submitting this directly as a question to the ZoneAlarm tech help, but after 8 failed attempts in an hour of trying, I have to say that it'd be really nice if Zonealarm pop-ups informed the user to allow srtk.net and nohold.net, and whatever else it is that's blocking their own tech support form from going through.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: Monitor.exe

Hi,Welcome to the Forum!Is that Monitor.exe listed in your control panel of your firewall?Also, are using the ForceField Beta program by ZA by chance?PLEASE let me know about these two questions,THANKS.SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. Default Re: Monitor.exe

It doesn't seem to be listed in the programs list in the control panel. It's located in C:\\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys

I'm not using the ForceField Beta.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Hi,

Thank you for posting back with the info.

The reason I asked about ForceField, as there is an issue with that being on and when turned off, if you have Outlook Express, sending in Tech Support help requests it will not work. But that is another issue and I have reported that back to the ForceField Beta Team for a fix. Almost like your issues sending in a Tech Support help form, but it does not go.

This is what I have found about Monitor.Exe, hopefully it will shed some light on what it is and how to get rid of it.

http://www.auditmypc.com/process/monitor.asp

http://nerd.steveferson.com/2007/06/...e-hogging-cpu/

Simple solution? Well I disabled Monitor.exe using Start -> Run -> msconfig and disabling Monitor.exe, which was listed at the bottom of the list under the Startup tab.

Yep, that will work, as I had the very samething and that is exactly what I did, bye, bye.

PLEASE keep me posted on your results, THANKS.

SlyFox

5. Default Re: Monitor.exe

Thanks for trying to help me with this!

It's not listed in msconfig so I can't stop it that way. I just watched what it was doing when I donwloaded and installed a game, it has a quick check while it's being installed and authorized (2-9% CPU usage for a few seconds, then back to 0%), but does nothing during the actual download, so it looks like it's overkeen to check what the BBC iPlayer is doing while it's torrenting.

I found a cached version of a deleted message from these forums and tried the advice shown in that - turning off on-access scanning in the Advanced options in Zone Alarm stops the process. I guess that's the best way to proceed.

Hi,Have you tried to remove it in Safe Mode? PLEASE remember to make a Restore Point prior to messing around with anything, just in case something should go wrong. If you decide to remove that file, PLEASE keep me posted on your results, THANKS.SlyFox

Thread Information