Thread: ZoneAlarm - conflict with World of Warcraft?

wain Guest

Default ZoneAlarm - conflict with World of Warcraft?

ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7.0.337. Program control at 'Max'. SmartDefense at "Auto". Windows XP, latest updates.

When I updated World of Warcraft recently, ZoneAlarm treated it as a new, unapproved program (which it seems to do with every program update.. that's not the issue here).

The problem is that whenever I'd start WoW after that, the ZoneAlarm program control warning would pop up, but then WoW would launch anyway before I could even click the "Allow" button, so the program remained untrusted. But because of ZoneAlarm, WoW would freeze up, and I couldn't even ctrl-alt-del or use any keys to try to get back to the desktop to click the Allow (WoW starts in full screen). In the end, the only recourse was to force the computer to reboot. This happened several times before I realized it was the security warning that was causing everything to hang. Manually configuring the approval in ZoneAlarm before starting WoW fixed the problem.

I presume this is a bug with ZoneAlarm? If it is, is this something already known, or should I report it? I didn't see any mention of World of Warcraft in the forums, but for all I know other applications may have displayed similar symptoms.

Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

njp Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm - conflict with World of Warcraft?

Hi Wain,
    Just a long-shot..... but do you happen to have a Maxtor 3200 external drive purchased since August?Apparently some were shipped from the Far East with a virus (Virus.Win32.AutoRun.ji) that affects WoW.If you go to the Seagate Website they are offering a month's free Kaspersky 7 as a download because of their problem.(Even if you haven't got their kit it might be a lead to your problem...)
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...rage/ps3200-sw

Affected programs:

WSGame
    91.com
    QQ
    Woool
    rxjh.17game.com
    TianLongBaBu
    AskTao
    Perfect World (Wanmei Shijie)
    World of Warcraft
    :8} Nigel

hammernu Guest

Another solution: go to Program Control > Programs tab, then find the WoW program and set Trusted = Super and all Access and Server rights = Allow.

wain Guest

No, it's a Seagate, but thanks for the tip

wain Guest

<blockquote><hr>HammerNU wrote:
    Another solution: go to Program Control &gt; Programs tab, then find the WoW program and set Trusted = Super and all Access and Server rights = Allow.
    <hr></blockquote>

Yes, that's what I had to do to get it to work (I mentioned that in my original post, though briefly). But next time there's a major update, it'll probably do the same thing, seeing ZoneAlarm seems to remove permissions when those occur. The user of the computer (which isn't actually me) shouldn't have to remember to set permissions manually before they run the program every time there's a major update.

So is this a true bug that I should report somewhere?

lalittle Guest

I've actually noticed this behavior with other games, so it's not just a Warcraft issue.
    The &quot;typical&quot; chain of events when installing a new game is:
    The game starts for the first time, then gets interrupted by a ZA popup.
    If the system remains responsive and I'm able to &quot;allow&quot; the access, the game will usually still crash.
    The next time it's run, however, it will not be interrupted.
    Unfortunately, I'm not always able
    to get to the ZA popup in order to grant access.
    In this case, I have to kill the game (and sometimes reboot), after which I can go into the ZA permissions and manually allow access for this program.
    This can sometimes be difficult, however, since it is not always clear which programs require access (some games need more than one.)
    By looking through the ZA list, however, I can generally tell which one/ones to allow.
    A third situation, however, will sometimes happen.
    In this scenario, the computer locks up due to ZA interference, but it does this BEFORE ZA has had a chance to add this program to the ZA programs list.
    In this situation, I have no way of knowing which program asked for permission since it isn't in the ZA list, so I have to figure out which programs to grant access to, then browse to them via the ZA interface and manually add them to the list.
    This is obviously a bit difficult since, once again, it's not always easy to tell which program to grant access to.
    I'm not sure if this is a &quot;bug,&quot; or if it's just the result of interrupting a program, so I don't know how &quot;fixable&quot; it is.
    It would be great, however, if the interruption didn't cause actual lockups.
    Larry

Thread Information