Thread: ZoneAlarm Antispyware and ThinkVantage Client Security Solution conflict?

wigner Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Antispyware and ThinkVantage Client Security Solution conflict?

I just installed ZoneAlarm Antispyware (Version 7.0.408.000) on my Thinkpad T60 (WinXP Pro XP2). Shortly after everything was done I sent the laptop to hibernation, then when I tried to start it up the problem emerged: on the screen it first asks for fingerprint, I scan my finger, a window pops up saying that "There was a problem connecting to a critical service. It is possible that anti-virus or firewall is blocking the connection. Also check to make sure that the TPM device is installed and enabled". After clicking on "OK", it'll ask for finger scan again and then show me the same error message over and over. The only thing I can do is to force shut off the computer and restart it, everything will return to normal. I have also tried to make the computer sleep and turn it back on, the same story. If I shut down ZA Antispyare before I make the computer hibernate or sleep, this problem won't happen.
    In ZoneAlarm I have enabled all ThinkVantage programs that I can find but still it didn't help. Anyone has any idea?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

forum_moderator Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Antispyware and ThinkVantage Client Security Solution conflict?

There are over a dozen Program processes and OS firewall alerts that must be allowed for it to work.The best thing we found is to do a /clean uninstall of ZA (directions for this can be found all over the forumThen you must uninstall the CSS from ibm/lenovoReinstall ZA and take all default settings and be sure to leave system in learning mode.Then install CSS and as you install and use the application everything will get setup properly in learning mode and nothing will get blocked.We use thinkpads at ZA and that what we normally need to do when you have blocked access to something CSS needs to run right.Forum Moderator

wigner Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Antispyware and ThinkVantage Client Security Solution conflict?

Thanks. For now I'll stick with shutdown and restart ZA before and after hibernation and sleep, will do as you suggest until I get bored with these steps.

natw Guest

Hello Admin:
    Your answer seems to be helpful, even though I have not tried it.
    I am a little scared of undoing the Lenovo 3000 V 100 CSS - am not sure it it will come back alright, where does the CSS go after the uninstall and how does one
    get it back?
    Does it remain available for install through programs in control panel even after the uninstall or does it come on some separate CD?
    What are those dozen or so processes that need to be enabled to make this thing work?
    If it is not too inconvenient for you to post that, I would like to rather try that than risk taking ZA off (and exposing myself to all the uglies out there) and then take off CSS and lay bare to even more risks and not be even sure how to get CSS back on the laptop - does the CSS come in a separate CD or does it stay on the laptop after the install - I mean I don't know how to get it back after the install.
    Given that now you know my naivety on this particular technical aspect, if you still feel undoing ZA/CSS and then installing is
    a simpler process, please do feel free to point me back to that and pls help me understand how to get the CSS back after the uninstall on my Lenovo 3000 V100 -
    or if you feel now that me and some other people at my technical level may be better off spending and hour or two to let a dozen processes have the permissions to do what they need to do, pls help!!!
    Looking forward to some learning and help.
    Thanks again!Nat.

johnhpgreen Guest

Hello,

Late response but I just hit this same problem after upgrading from the free firewall to the full security suite. To get around it I changed the program control settings to Trust Level (Super), Access (Trusted), Server (Trusted) for:

Client Security Solution
    Client Security Solutions Wizard
    IBM Global Security Toolkit
    Windows NT Login Application

Suspend/resume now works as intended. My settings may be more lenient than needed, but if you can't trust a security application, what can you trust :-). Hope this belated response helps someone.

John

Thread Information