Thread: vsmon and zlclient using all CPU resources and site privacy does not work

rytlcj Guest

Default vsmon and zlclient using all CPU resources and site privacy does not work

I recently changed to Zone Alarm Security Suite from Norton and I am feeling very cheated.
    I am having a host of problems that I don't understand and can't find anything I am doing wrong.
    First, the program frequently completely takes over the computer at random times and between vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe may use all system resources for as much a 5 minutes at startup.
    They often do it at random times during normal operation as well.
    This seems to make all the complaints about about Norton as a resource hog seem ridiculous.
    Second, the privacy settings for individual sites seem to have no effect whatsoever.
    I must allow all cookies on the main privacy page for instance simply to get access to this site to try and get some support.
    This is not very secure, and
    the site list page that purports to allow individual site customization does not have any effect.

This seems to be a pretty serious and obvious bug.
    It also will not allow me to allow site specific adds or animations.
    After hearing raves about Zone alarm for years I am extremely concerned about the performance, apparent bugginess, and the lack of professional support.
    This seems like shareware not something I would pay for; silly me :^(

I'd like to like this product, but I am a very
    experienced user, and I find these problems intolerable.
    What am I doing wrong?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

mike_ Guest

Default Re: vsmon and zlclient using all CPU resources and site privacy does not work

I have the same startup problem.
    After power-up, the very first time something attempts to access the Internet, the PC hangs for a few minutes (vsmon has 100% of CPU). I can dial-up, load Oulook and receive email OK, until I attempt to download
    linked images. Alternatively, I can dial-up and
    load IE OK, until I enter a URL.
    As far as I know, the problem only occurs once after each power-up.

rytlcj Guest

Default Re: vsmon and zlclient using all CPU resources and site privacy does not work

I also have the problem if I switch from single to dual monitors on an nVidia Quadro video card;
    usually taking more than 2 minutes.
    I cannot imagine why it would care about this, but it is embarrassing when
    you are hooking up to a projector and you have to tell everyone that your security software is
    hanging the computer
    and stall for time.
    It also stalls for shorter
    times at what appear to be fairly regular intervals.

mike_ Guest

7.0.462 seems OK. At least, with respect to the start-up problem I described above.
    For other periods of hanging, try disabling on-access scanning. Anti-virus/Anti-spyware->Advanced Options->Virus Management->On-Access Scanning.

Message Edited by mike_ on 11-21-2007 09:27 AM

Message Edited by mike_ on 11-21-2007 11:31 PM

Message Edited by mike_ on 11-22-2007 05:45 AM

geoken Guest

I've had a similar problem. I upgraded from 6.5.722 to 7.0.337 and had all sorts of problems with delayed start to windows (Win2K Pro) and browser (Firefox) hanging on first access to any URL. Also timeout connecting to mail server the first time after login.

I did a clean uninstall and reloaded v6.5.722. I had no problems with response until I did an update (I always have update set to manual 'cause I don't like ZA phoning home whenever it likes). AntiVirus was up-to-date (according to ZA) but AntiSpy downloaded an update. Since then the same old problems of hanging and delayed access have returned. So I suspect there is something going on with AntiSpy.

I only use this machine for particular activities. I generally use Ubuntu Linux running Firestarter. No problems with performance and minimal risk of virus or spyware.

mike_ Guest

Interesting response, GeoKen. The stock fix for the update process causing a problem is to delete all *.LDB, *.RDB & *.TMP files from directory C:\Windows\Internet Logs under Safe Mode. This retains updates, but loses settings.
    Currently, I've got 7.0.462 - updated - and I'm OK.

kenzo Guest

In doing a clean uninstall I included the deletes you mentioned. I upgraded to 7.0.462 but had a number of other problems. Wasted about 4 hours on it then went back to the version with the least issues. Probably stating the obvious but just so you know what I mean by clean uninstall...

Start->All Programs->Zone Labs->right-click Zone Alarm's Uninstall menu item click Properties and select shortcut.
    Add a space and the string /clean /rmlicense to the executable name, so the line looks similar to this:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean /rmlicense (please note there is a space between " and /clean and /rmlicense)

Next, click Apply and Okay.

Open zone alarm and uncheck the load at start -up option.

Then do a clean uninstall....

First boot up into safe mode

To get into the Windows 2000 / XP Safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu". Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key. Must remove any traces of Zone Alarm from the following areas

Registry
    Click Start -> Click on run -> Type regedit
    Once the registry editor is opened. On the left Panel is a list of folders. Goto the following location in the registry and delete the zone labs folder.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs

C:\windows\internet logs\
    Go to the above directory and remove the contents only of the Internet Logs folder

Click on Start, then Search or Find, and select Files. Make sure that the location box is set to search your local hard drive (usually C or All Local Drives. Type the following exactly and delete the folder:

zonelabs (under your SYSTEM or SYSTEM32 folder)
    "zone labs" (under your Program Files folder)
    "Internet logs" (under your Windows or WINNT folder)

Type the following exactly - delete files found in \Windows or any subfolder below it, in your \Temp folder, or in the Windows "Pre-Fetch" folder):

vsconfig.xml, vsdata.dll, vsdata95.vxd, vsdatant.sys, vsmon.*, vsmonapi.dll, vsnetutils.dll, vspubapi.dll, zaplus.*, zapro.*, **bleep**.dat, zlparser.dll, zonealarm.exe
    zoneband.dll

vsutil.dll (please right-click, Properties -> Version to be sure it is a ZA file. Do NOT delete this file unless it is a Zone Labs file!)

Make sure your Recycle Bin is empty (right-click and select Empty).
    REBOOT

After that, again Start -> All Programs -> Zone Labs -> left-click ZoneAlarm's Uninstall menu item and proceed with the uninstall.

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi Kenzo,

Welcome to the Forum!

First of all, PLEASE START A NEW THREAD, as this thread has too many members posting about their problems, THANKS

PLEASE follow these guidelines when posting, THANKS.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...;message.id=71

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=24673

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=73188

Thank you for your time and have a nice day!

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi GeoKen,

Welcome to the Forum!

First of all, PLEASE START A NEW THREAD, as this thread has too many members posting about their problems, THANKS

PLEASE follow these guidelines when posting, THANKS.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...;message.id=71

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=24673

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=73188

Thank you for your time and have a nice day!

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

Thread Information