Thread: Nightmare. Scan runs for ages on start-up.

maircb Guest

Default Nightmare. Scan runs for ages on start-up.

Hi all
    Anybody else suffering from this?
    During start up Zone Alarm decides to run a scan. Problem is it takes about 45mins to complete! It only started yesterday (Sun 18/11/07). CPU usage is not badly affected, 15-20% but the hard drive gets trashed and you can do nothing else. I am using security suite 7.0.408.000
    and XP Media Center 5.1 with SP2.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:5.x
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

maircb Guest

Default Re: Nightmare. Scan runs for ages on start-up.

Brilliant.
    76 views at my message and not one offer of help.
    Nice forum.

mike_ Guest

Seems like normal behaviour when configured for a scheduled scan.
    Use Anti-Spyware->Advanced Options->Scan Schedule to turn off the
    scheduled scan and perform it manually, if you wish. Or cancel the scheduled scan when its running, via the scan window. Somewhere there's an option to trade between faster scans and using the PC when its scanning (forgotten where I saw it).
    45 minutes is a reasonable scan time. I've 3 disk drives. Virus scan (no skipping) takes 2 hours. Intelligent spyware scan takes 5 minutes. System spyware scan takes 20 minutes. Deep-inspection spyware scan takes 50 minutes.

maircb Guest

Cheers Mike
    I tried to remove the database files but this did not help. I then removed ZA altogether and reloaded it but this did not work either. At this stage I felt like punching the screen.
    Next I read you kind reply and fully unloaded ZA again. I then physically deleted any trace of it I could find anywhere. I then reloaded it again and turned off the scans as suggested and it appears to work.
    My doubt is that the laptop suffered a premature shutdown last week. It was only after this that the "auto scan" started everytime on startup. I had never scheduled any scans as I like to do it manually.
    Anyway to cut a long story short, the auto scan no longer happens. I do not know if it was because of the second reload or because of your suggestion.......and to be quite frank, I do not care.
    Many thanks for your help Mike, I suspect that your suggestion was the winner!

forum_moderator Guest

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.ZoneAlarm does not support the XP media center edition of the OS.Some poeple have used it with no issue but many others have had issues and ZA official stance is that this OS is not supported.Sorry,Forum Moderator

Thread Information