Thread: Virus Scan slow down issues

ssri Guest

Default Virus Scan slow down issues

In the last few months, I have observed the longer the system stays on, without a full boot, the greater the time ZASS takes to complete virus/spyware scans.
    Furthermore, you can't kill the virus/spyware scan when the system has been staying on (including hibernate/standby modes) for more than 48 hours. The ZASS would freeze in these instances forcing a restart of the ZASS.
    These problems virtually disappear after a full reboot.
    I never scan my PC for virus/spyware when I am working. I have a scheduled
    scan every Friday night.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

mike_ Guest

Default Re: Virus Scan slow down issues

Seems like normal Windows behaviour. Over time, Windows loses resources, applications taking resources often don't replace them, memory leaks, etc. Best to reboot a PC every day. I power mine down when I'm not using it, and
    update and run a scan manually once a week.
    Killing scans is always a struggle. Windows may not fully restore from hibernation (mine's hopeless).

ssri Guest

Default Re: Virus Scan slow down issues

Thanks.
    Yup. Slow down is indeed the normal windows behaviour.
    Rebooting PC daily makes
    sense. Reboot is a far better option compared to vain struggle to kill the scan. Because, most of the time killing would not work. When scan gets slowed down significantly, even restarting ZASS does not solve the scan issue. Restarting the PC is the best option in my opinion.
    In the last few months, after I started powering the PC done when not in use and restarting it only when needed, the performance has improved significantly.I haven't had any major drag since then. It does get stuck occasionally but hopefully this occassional problem would also go away with the new release.

Thread Information